12: Dumb Rock

AN
This one's really short but I felt it was better on its own rather than combined with any other chapters.
EAN

~~~

I managed to get away from the group long enough to take incense inland. I sighed as I stood beside the smooth etched stone and lit the incense in the holder with my hand.

I bowed before the stone. I looked up at my blue eyes reflected in the gray stone. "I wish I could remember you."

I studied the stone as I had on every visit to the grave my father had brought me on, hoping to find something new. Etched into the top was the symbol of the water tribe over the name "Kiya" and the words "beutiful wife and loving mother."

I studied my face in the stone but just as every time before, my father's features, broken only by the carved words, stared back with blue eyes rather than gold.

I sighed again and sat up on my knees. "I've come here so many times and yet you still won't tell me who you were, Mom." I wiped a tear from my face. "Just a reflective stone showing father's face..."

After a pause, I gave a half laugh. "Aaaaand I'm talking to a rock..." I sighed sadly. "Last chance, mom..." I waited but nothing happened. "I was right. There's no one here." I stood and extinguished the incense, leaving it in the holder on the stone for someone else. "Goodbye, dumb shinny rock."

I felt like a weight was lifted as I left the area.