7: Kyoshi Warriors

I pulled a tuft of fur from a tree as I sat on the back of my mongoose dragon. "Prince Azulaan. It's the bison."

"You're right," Tye Lee said picking up another piece. "There's quite the trail."

"That bison may yet be our ticket to finding the Avatar," Azulaan said. "Let's go."

***

Azulaan's bolt of blue lightning fell a nearby tree and cleared the path for us. He held up a clump of white fur to taunt the Avatar. "My, my, you're easy to find." He tossed it aside. "It's really astounding my brother hasn't captured you yet."

The bison reared and growled threateningly. The woman warriors in face paints and flowing green dresses dropped as one into combat stances, unfurling war fans and collapsible shields as though they were one machine. "What do you want with us?" The leader asked.

Azulaan mockingly rolled his eyes. "Who are you, the Avatar's fan girls?"

Tye Lee thought for a moment, then brightened as though he took a second to register it. "Oh, I get it! I get it. Good one, Azula!"

"If you are looking for the Avatar," the leader said, "you're out of luck."

Mai sighed despondently. "I knew this was a waste of time."

"No Avatar huh?" Azulaan shrugged boredly. "Well that's ok, any friend of the Avatar, is an enemy of mine." Azulaan did a spinning leap from his saddle, sending a blast of blue fire towards the warriors.

They leaped to form a shield wall in front of the bison, deflecting the fire blast. Mai and Ty Lee and I jumped from our saddles to engage the warriors in combat.

Mai, landing on her feet, produced a brace of throwing knives from her sleeve. With a sweeping throw, she pinned a startled warrior to a tree by her clothing. "You're so colorful, it's making me nauseous." Mai spun and threw a barrage of throwing-arrows at a second warrior, who drew a katana and cut them from the air. She took a couple of swings at Ty Lee, who nimbly evaded her slashes before felling her with a flurry of pressure-point strikes. He put his hands on his hips. "You're not prettier than we are!"

I shot a blast of fire at two other warriors as I got closer the them. I kept up the fire as a distraction until I was close enough to back flip over the girls shields. I landed behind them and hit the both in the back, chi blocking their lower bodies. As they both crumbled I hit the other points and rendered each of them defenceless.

Beside me the previously fallen tree caught fire, the bison cowering back from the leaping flames. "Afraid of fire I see," Azulaan commented. "That's good, you should be!"

The leader drew her sword. "Go Appa! Fly away from here! Get out of here." As the beast rose into the sky, the girl charged Azulaan.

The Fire prince performed an amazing horizontal mid-air spin, simultaneously avoiding her thrust and sending her sword flying from her hands to imbed in a tree. The girl blocked another fire blast, then Azulaan countered her kick and tripped his female opponent to the ground.

Pausing at the sight of the girl in danger, the bison turned and flew back to help. Ready to finish the warrior, Azulaan dodged beneath a pair of war-fans hurled at her back, and turned to launch a retaliatory attack.