Some explaining to do - Derek Hale

"You're not sleeping on the floor"

Derek pinched his eyes shut, a long-suffering sigh heaving his chest. The ache in his back from hours of driving grew in intensity at the mere thought of sleeping on the floor but he wasn't going to let his best friend suffer through a night on the cheap, suspiciously stained hotel carpet.

"It's fine"

"Derek"

"I said its fine"

"Yeah, and I said it's not. Get your arse on the bed" Derek just folded his arms, his face stoic as he stared (y/n) down. With a roll of her eyes, (y/n) plucked a pillow off the bed before setting it on the floor. "Fine, neither of us will sleep in the bed then"

Derek merely watched as she tried and failed to get comfortable, wincing as the solid floorboards pressed relentlessly against her shoulder blades and the rough carpet scratched her skin.

"Are we really doing this?" He tried desperately to keep the amusement out of his tone, not needing to concede the fact that she was unwittingly winning him over. Derek was still attempting to recover from the others dubbing her as 'pack mum' when he was certain their relationship was strictly platonic, definitely no unwanted or unwarranted feelings involved.

Surely.

Or perhaps there were and the thought of the pack viewing her as his alpha female had sent the warmth of affection across the planes of his chest and had rooted itself deeply in his heart. But they were only friends.

One hundred per cent platonic.

Naturally.

"You started it" (Y/n) stuck her tongue out at the bewildered alpha, unable to miss the torment clouding his eyes. She held her arms in the air, wiggling her fingers at Derek until he grasped her hands in his and tugged her upward. Surprised by the force of his movement, (y/n) stumbled into his chest, her cheeks burning as she awkwardly patted his left pectoral before stepping away with a forced smile. Clearing her throat, she pointed behind her. "So, the bed"

"It's a very nice bed" Her lips quirked in amusement before settling as she watched Derek bristle with embarrassment.

"That it is. And big enough for two" The rise of her eyebrows left no room for debate as Derek let out a resigned sigh, his face crumpling into a frown.

"I didn't want to impose" A huff of laughter pushes past (y/n)'s lips as she shook her head gently.

"You're not imposing. Now, please, can we get some sleep?" All Derek could do was nod, overcome by the soft smile adorning her features as she coaxed him into relaxing.

...

"Oh my god, they're cuddling" Derek groaned as his ears were greeted by the soft coos and snickers of Erica and Boyd. Unprepared to wake up fully, he burrowed into his pillow before realising it smelt suspiciously like (y/n).

His eyes snapped open as he was greeted with the sweet scent of (y/n)'s shampoo, quickly registering that her hair was blanketed across his pillow and he had most definitely been nuzzling into her neck. Derek blinked dumbly at (y/n) while she remained blissfully unaware of their predicament, still lost in the lull of sleep as Derek questioned how his arm had curled protectively around her waist and how her hand had found his as she used his arm for a pillow.

Erica cleared her throat dramatically, drawing the alpha's attention away from the woman wrapped in his embrace and towards his amused betas. "Told you she was pack mum"

Boyd and Erica bumped shoulders as they continued to snicker among themselves. It took all the restraint and love of his pride Derek had not to hush them out of fear that they would wake (y/n) and ruin the look of serenity of her face. With a shared smirk of amusement, the couple turned to the door.

"We leave in fifteen minutes if we want to beat the traffic, but I think you've got some explaining to do before then" Derek wanted to groan in frustration, but when (y/n) turned in his arms, a lazy smile curling her lips as she remained lost in the realms of sleep, his throat grew tight with affection and all he could do was savour the sight before him and pray he got to experience it again.