7 | big john's compass

SEASON ONE,
CHAPTER 7:

BIG JOHN'S COMPASS

"This was my fathers

"This was my fathers."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE FRIENDS ALL collectively help John B peel the scuba diving gear off of his body, just so that he can feel more comfortable and it can be dried off before it's returned back to the Cameron boat. Salt water proceeds to drip all over the flooring of the HMS Pogue and only makes it even more slippery for them to walk on.

"Wait, guys. Bogey, two o'clock." Kie informs.

The boys and Delilah all turn to look in the direction that Kiara is looking in, finding themselves watching as another boat drives closer and closer to them. It's clear that it isn't another police boat as the sirens aren't on and the two strangers standing in the boat are wearing dark clothing, not uniforms. Their stern gaze is locked ahead of them and most likely on the five teenagers that continue to float in the marsh.

"Do any of you recognise that boat?" Delilah asks as she turns turn to face her friends. "Because I sure as hell don't."

Pope shakes his head. "No."

"No, I've never seen it either." Kie replies, eyes glued onto the boat behind them.  "What are they even doing here? The marsh is closed."

"I don't know, but let's not stick around and find out." JJ tells them.

"Should we wait on them?" Pope asks.

"Are you joking?" Kie fires back, blankly staring at the boy in disbelief.

"No, we're not gonna do that." John B states. "JJ, get the bowline."

JJ nods in response before heading over to the bow of the HMS Pogue, beginning to pull the anchor back up into the boat so that they're able to start moving again. Pope quickly scurries over to the controls in order to turn the engine on and get the boat moving in an instant. This is because the five have mutually planned to leave to avoid communicating with the strangers making their way towards them all.

"I don't like this. Not a single bit." Kie mutters.

"Are they coming for us?" John B questions.

"Maybe they're fishing." Pope suggests.

The roaring sound of a boat engine echoes loudly in the air, followed by more splashing of water. Delilah turns to look towards the boat to see that they have now rapidly picked up in speed and are travelling closer to her and her friends. Though the reasoning is unknown to the teenagers, it's clear that they are the target of the two men.