30 | rafe or the gators?

SEASON TWO,
CHAPTER 30:

RAFE OR THE GATORS?

"Round three, bitch

"Round three, bitch."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE LARGE TRUCK has a long bumpy ride while it travels back in the direction that Goat Island is located. Not a single one of the potholes on the road seem to be taken accounted for, simply driving over the top of them without a care in the world. With each bump in the road, Renfield's dead body will shift in his place due to the fact that he's completely lifeless and limp; the golden cross will occasionally move too, hitting the walls and clanging loudly.

Delilah appears to have slightly calmed down from the situation that she still finds herself in, knowing that her best friend is just outside of the trucks door. Pope has constantly being trying to reassure Delilah and make sure that everything is okay to avoid her from freaking out even more so that they can figure out a reasonable plan. But that doesn't change the fact that there's a dead body lying just metres away from where she's sitting, a rotting stench starting to fill the limited amount of air inside.

Eventually, the vehicle comes to a slow stop as the destination is finally reached. This allows the Pogues to quickly hide in order to avoid being spotted; Pope jumps off the truck and hides behind a tree, whereas Delilah dives under the blanket draped over the top of the cross. Rafe swings the drivers side of the door open and hops out to then walk around and unlock the back doors of the truck. But the boy pauses after not immediately seeing Delilah as he knows that she has been in there for the entire journey.

Rafe grabs ahold of the dead body and roughly drags it out of the vehicle, thuds heard with each sudden movement. Renfield's corpse is pulled along the wet mud and into the shallow depths of the murky water nearby, which is home to the alligators. During this time, the Kook makes sure to keep a close eye on the inside of the truck for any signs of movement as he doesn't want Delilah to escape from him that easily.

However, after Rafe strides back over to the vehicle, the large blanket draped over the top of the cross is pulled back to reveal Delilah hiding beneath it — the assumption was made that she'd be underneath as there's nowhere else to hide. But the girl barely has any time to react to the sudden sight of Rafe, feeling a pair of hands wrap firmly around her ankles. Yells leave Delilah's mouth as her body is dragged out of the back of the truck and dropped down into the wet mud beneath. She squirms around to escape the grip and break free, but Rafe's hold just tightens while he yanks the girl back up to her feet. A hand is placed over her mouth to prevent her from screaming.