8 | heist

SEASON THREE,
CHAPTER 8:

HEIST

"Here I am involved in illegal activities

"Here I am involved in illegal activities."

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

NIGHT HAS FALLEN over Wilmington, engulfing it in darkness. Not a single star is visible in the dark sky, almost as if they have all shied away into hiding after sensing the possible chaos that will commence tonight, wanting to avoid bearing witness to all of it. The bright moon is hidden by the dark grey clouds, unable to provide a natural source of light to the life that lives on earth below.

A rail yard lurks within the night's darkness. Each of the trains are waiting to start moving at any second now, just needing to be given the command to do so. However, amongst the crowding, five teenagers are faintly seen standing on top of one of the stationary trains. All of them are carefully scouting out their surroundings, getting a slight glimpse of what they are going to get themselves into.

"Okay, so we know that it's car 750X on the track to Raleigh." Pope says.

"We've just got to find it." JJ states.

"Good luck with that. There's like a thousand trains here." Sarah mutters.

"Also, news flash; none of us are getting out of here unnoticed with a giant cross." Kie reminds.

"We won't have to. We can nab it somewhere further in the country." Pope tells them. "We'll just need to figure out how to stop the train."

"Leave that to me." JJ replies. "I have an uncle up in New Bern. Whenever he got tipsy, he would throw an old chain across the train tracks just for shits and giggles. But that old little chain would stop all of the train traffic in coastal Carolina."

"JJ's right. There's a low-voltage current that runs across all rail tracks. But if you throw a chain on it, then you will close that circuit. The chain will read as another train, so the crossing lights will come down." Pope explains. "Science is actually pretty sound."

"Science." JJ repeats with a grin, glancing between each of them. "I knew my science."

"Didn't you and Lila get kicked out of a science class one time for trying to create a self-igniting molotov cocktail?" Kie reminds, bluntly.

"And it almost worked." Delilah replies with a shrug. "Where are we going to get a cable from though?"

"Topper's dad might have jumper cables in the truck. Would that work?" Sarah asks.