xii. Benny Rodriguez;

• • •
IMAGINE. . .

BENNY RODRIGUEZ BEING OBSESSIVE OVER WENDY PEFFERCORN AND NOT NOTICING YOU

• • •

You and your best friend Benny Rodriguez were both walking to the sandlot together on a summer's morning.

Benny would talk about Wendy Peffercorn every now and then. It bothered you so much that you would roll your eyes at her name.

Wendy was three years older then you and Benny and four for the other guys. They were so obsessed they didn't even mention the age gap.

You hated hearing the boy you like talk about her, it would anger you.

-
Once you both got to the Sandlot, Squints and Yeah-Yeah hadn't shown up yet.

It was so hot that none of you were willing to play baseball. Ham was moaning about how hot he was and that the beverage he was drinking wasn't cooling him down.

Soon after, all of you heard Squints and Yeah-Yeah yelling as they ran to you guys. They kept saying that they saw Wendy and how good she looked. You just rolled your eyes and kept quiet.

"Let's go to the pool!"! Someone suggested and you all agreed.

-

You guys made it to the pool. The boys instantly chucking their towels down anywhere and jumping in and you rolling your eyes laughing.

You were wearing a dark blue bikini with white poker dots on it. You threw your towel on a random chair and walked down the steps into the pool and swam over to the boys.

You guys were all splashing each other until the boys stopped and stared in one direction.
You were confused at first but once you faced what they were looking at you sighed and shook your head.
They were looking at Wendy!

They started talking how good she looked and you had enough of it especially with Benny. You slapped the water and left the pool to sit on the side. The next minute a guy sat next to you. You didn't know who it was at first but when you looked again you were shocked.

"What do you want Phillips?" You ask rolling your eyes. Phillips is your second cousin and your teams enemy.
"You on our team!" He raises an eyebrows with a smirk.
You sarcastically laugh and shake your head.
"Your never gonna give up are you huh?"
"Nope!"
"But I thought girls couldn't play baseball?" You grin.
"Yeah but that was before I saw you play like a goddess."
"Whatever Phillips." You get up from sitting and so does he.
"I know you like Benny!" He blurts.

You were taken aback at first and gulped.
"No I don't." You deny but he just nods.
"Yes you do! I can see the way you look at him it's obvious y/n. And it's obvious that he likes you back! Look at him!" He points in front of him at a wet Benny looking at you guys talking. Benny gives Phillips a glare and turns around.

"Wow! He's probably giving you those looks cause I'm talking to his enemy. What do you expect? For him to bow down and say 'well done for talking to my enemy'?"

Phillips rolls his eyes and sighs.
"Just talk to him alright. I promise you won't regret it."
"Whatever."

-

After being kicked out the pool because Squints was a being a 'pervert' you were all walking down the side walk. You and Benny next to each other at the back.

It was a awkward silent at first before Benny spoke up.
"What were you doing talking to Phillips?"

"Benny, he's my second cousin."

"Yeah I know it's just that. . . I don't know it sounded like he asked you to be on his team." Benny shrugged.

"That's cause he did." You admit. Benny's eyes widen and he quickly looks at you.
"You didn't agree did you?"
"I might of." You lie smirking.
"What the hell y/n! Your on our team! We need you on our team-" He whisper yells but then goes silent.
"I need you on our team." He whispers.

"So what! It's not like you guys pay any attention to me when you got your jaws touching the floor when looking at Wendy fucking Peffercorn! Like what's so special about her? Just cause she's older than us and wears nice clothes and has an ass! Like what the hell is wrong with you guys? She ain't into baseball or anything Benny! So if you were to date her you wouldn't be at the Sandlot everyday like you could be with me!" You snap causing all the boys to turn around and stare at you.

You look around in shock of what you just said. You blink fast and run away to your house.

-

You had been laying on your bed all evening staring at the ceiling.
You didn't regret what you said earlier because it was true but you also regretted saying it to the other boys.

After thinking, you heard taps on your window. You didn't know what it was at first so you decided to leave it but the taps kept getting louder so you got up and lifted your window up to face Benny.

You sighed and looked up.
"What do you want Benny?" You asked as you backed away from the window letting him in. He climbed in almost falling over.

"I came here to talk to you." He said almost out of breath.
"Oh just go home Benny. I don't want to hear you telling me what I said was wrong because you l-" you were cut off by a pair of soft lips being attached to yours.

At first you were very shocked and just stood there with your eyes wide open as Benny put his hands on your cheeks. You soon kissed back and closed your eyes sinking into the kiss.

After pulling away your cheeks stained red. You just stared at each other.

"I thought about what you said about Wendy. And your right. If I was to date her I wouldn't be at the Sandlot everyday with you or probably be hanging out with you. And anyway I don't want her. I never wanted her. Squints has always wanted her because I've always wanted you." He whispers the last bit.

You gulp and lick your lips that soon form into a smile.
"Really?"

"Yes really." He lightly laughs. You pull him in for a hug and rest your head on his chest.

And from that day Benny has never once looked at Wendy the way he did before.