eighteen

Lidia
Several hours are spent putting a plan together to evacuate the island, although it sounds risky. We only have a small float, which could probably only carry a few people across long distances. The plan is to attempt at finding the other island, which was hit by the tsunami, and hope that they have a better way of finding help, or something that could get us to the closest town, with an airport nearby. We should have thought of this earlier, but we had no idea more people were stranded on other islands nearby, potentially having more equipment than us.
   "I'll do it." Addison volunteers, after Javier warns that it would be most reasonable for only a maximum of two people to find the other island on the small float.
     Moments pass in silence, where we all wait for the other to volunteer, but no one does. Maria even wraps her arms tighter around Rosa, as if saying she must stay here with her.
At first, I don't dream of speaking up, thinking of what could be out there, what complications we could encounter. However, an inner voice challenges my anxiety, reminding me that being fearful will never get you anywhere. If I want a shot at finally getting off of this island, this is what I have to do. "I'm coming with you." I declare.

   The rain has officially stopped, leaving thick moisture in the air and wet ground. Under the grey sky, I watch everyone sitting on the beach, testing the float and making sure it is ready for the journey ahead.
  I try talking myself into thinking that it's all going to be okay. I repeat the same, stern words in my head. Pull yourself together.
   Caleb walks up to where I'm standing, a comforting smile across his face. "Hey."
   "Hi." I'm fiddling with my fingers, staring at the sand, unable to meet his eyes. We barely know each other, but I know that somehow, he'll see right through me, and he'll know that my bravery is all just a mask. Behind, there's only a scared girl with one goal, to go home.
    "You ready?"
    I feel a lump in my throat, a strong wave of fear and homesickness, and I can't manage words. I just stare out into the horizon, trying to calm the turmoil in my stomach.
     "Hey! Earth to Lidia." Caleb laughs.
   I finally meet his eyes. "Yeah, sorry, what were you saying?" I pretend I didn't hear him the first time.
  He pauses, and I sense his sudden serious energy. He hesitates before gently placing hands on my bare arms. Looking sternly into my eyes, but somehow also softly, he says. "You know, Lidia, you're going to be fine."
     I swallow the tears down, barely managing a small smile. "Thank you."

    Addison approaches and forces me to tear my eyes from Caleb. "We're ready."
  I take a deep breath. "Okay then." Pulling away from him, it almost aches, but I start following Addison to the shore. I look back at Caleb one more time before turning completely.
   Before I'm too far out of reach, he grabs my hand, squeezes it before letting it go. I smile, communicating something with my eyes that I'm not even aware of. He nods and waves.

    Addison and I are now further away from the island, rowing and rowing, until it's merely a tiny speck in the distance.
   So far, the journey has been silent, we've both been focused on steering the float as best we can with our arms, simultaneously keeping an eye out for any indication of other land.
We reach a spot in which the movement of the waves has gone quiet, with only a a small, gentle and swift current of movement. "I didn't know you and Caleb were a thing." Addison eventually remarks.
"I wouldn't call it a thing, but he's a nice guy."
"He's gorgeous, too." She says, a playful, childish smile on her face.
    "Yeah, I guess he is." My stomach flips, almost like an inward smile.
    Addison grimaces. "Hey, most girls would be lucky to land a guy like that." She laughs. "And, you can tell he's into you, too."
"We just met." I laugh at the thought.
"Why does that matter? You've been on an island, together, for almost a week, that's like loads of time in the real world."
   Before answering, I feel a wet droplet land on my skin. Only moments pass before rain starts pouring, saturating us in seconds.
   "Oh no, you have got to be kidding me!" Addison screams, lifting her arms up to the sky in protest.
   I look down at the ocean below us, the droplets making it angrier, transforming the waves into bigger, dangerous forces of water, and shaking the float. We both clutch on to what we can, and I notice the sky turning darker.
   Thunder strikes and makes us both jump. "Shoot! We need to get back to the island now." I urge.
   "It's so far away!" Addison screams, trying to be heard above the rain, waves and thunder.
    "Well, we can't just stay here and wait for a gigantic wave to swallow us up!" I scream back to her. As I do, waves begin to surpass the float, thunder striking. Now, I am panicking.
    "We need to move!" I scream again, water completely drenching me, even above the noise around me, I hear my heart pound in my chest.
"Okay! Hurry—paddle!" Addison frantically starts rowing with her arm in the water.
I lift my arm, about to plunge it into the water below, before the biggest wave yet, crashes over my back. My upper body submerged in the water, legs practically slipping into the open ocean, I gasp when I can, clutching the float with all of my strength.
An instant later, I am able to lift my head, but Addison is nowhere to be seen. My heart stops and races all at once, followed by the realization that she must have fallen in when the wave hit.
  I scream her name, plunging my arm in and out of the ocean, hoping she'll grab onto my hand.
  For a slight moment, I feel something—her clutch on my arm, holding on for dear life. I start pulling her back up onto the float, practically hovering off of the raging ocean. But a wave hits again, violently, and I lose control, half of me in the water, flailing and desperate for air.
   When I emerge, Addison has let go of my hand.