seventy ☆ pear and raspberry

MAY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

elena didn't want to, but she found herself back at zach's house. however, walking inside of his house after a few weeks away made her feel a bit better. the truth was that elena loved, yet also despised, his home. she loved zach's house because his family was always so kind to her, and she felt safe there. on the contrary, she despised zach's house because it reminded her of how unhappy her home is, and she was envious that zach had a loving family.

"what do you want to do?" zach asked, standing up from his bed and placing his hands on elena's shoulders.

the dark-haired girl was sitting on his swivel chair as she read from her calculus textbook. a piece of notebook paper laid next to her and her right hand gripped a mechanical pencil.

"study for finals," elena answered, keeping her eyes on her practice problems, "they're in, like, less than two weeks."

"i'm done studying for the day already," zach whined, "i just want to kiss you."

"no time for kissing, zach," elena declared, "there's only time for studying."

she began to write down an equation, but zach pulled her up from her chair so she would be standing as well, "hey, i was in the middle of a logarithmic function."

zach smirked, and cupped the cheeks of his girlfriend. he placed a kiss on her plump lips, and said, "there. now i'm satisfied."

"you're so annoying," elena teased, pinching his left cheek.

"and you're so beautiful," zach replied, laying back down on his bed.

"yeah, yeah," elena added, "hey, do you have a hoodie?"

zach looked through his drawers, and tossed her a sand-colored hoodie.

"alright, thank you," elena acknowledged, walking out of his room to the bathroom.

"hey, where are you going?" zach called out.

elena peaked her head through the crack of his door, "...to the bathroom?"

"why?" zach questioned.

"...to change," elena answered.

"you always used to change in front of me," zach pointed out, "i mean... i'm not asking you to because that's creepy and kind of messed up, but even before hawaii you would change in front of me. at least from the waist up."

what zach said was true. before the two dated, they were already best friends and comfortable with each other. arguably, they were too comfortable with each other. however, elena didn't want to change out of her loose long-sleeve top and into zach's hoodie in front of him because he would see the burns that marred her forearm.

"oh... you're right," elena mumbled, walking back into his room.

"oh, shoot, i didn't mean to pressure you, ellie. i was just confused," zach mentioned, "you don't have to change here."

"no, it's okay," elena responded.

"here... i'll turn around," zach suggested, turning his body to face the wall instead of his girlfriend.

elena felt better now that zach wasn't looking at her, and she quickly swapped her current top for zach's hoodie. her motions were swift, and she made her change in less than eight seconds.

"okay, i'm done," elena remarked.

zach turned around, and met eyes with his girlfriend, "that hoodie looks better on you than it ever did on me."

"oh, hush," elena teased, "i'm going to keep studying, okay?"

elena's focus went back to her calculus textbook, but just two minutes later, her phone buzzed. she had received a text from zack paterson.

-

zack 🥂:
i just wanted to let
u know that i didn't
start any of that
easy elena stuff

elena 🌻:
i mean

elena 🌻:
you technically did

elena 🌻:
if u didnt tell
everyone at the
bonfire about all
the times we had
sex, this wouldn't
be happening

zack 🥂:
i'm sorry lena

elena 🌻:
thank you?

zack 🥂:
whoever decorated
your locker was probably
some random asshole

elena 🌻:
it's okay zack

zack 🥂:
and im sorry about
everything that
happened between us

elena 🌻:
it's fine

elena 🌻:
we broke up a while
ago anyway

zack 🥂:
i didnt start any
tension between u and
ur boyfriend did i?

elena 🌻:
no

zack 🥂:
okay good

zack 🥂:
zach seems like
a really good guy

elena 🌻:
he is

zack 🥂:
again im
sorry lena

elena 🌻:
zack lol i
said it's fine

zack 🥂:
oakland is kinda
lonely without u
here anymore

elena 🌻:
pineland is kinda
depressing hahaha

zack 🥂:
do u think we
can try to get
on better terms?

elena 🌻:
sure

zack 🥂:
sounds good

-

the night had come closer, and elena figured it was time to leave. she began to pack up her belongings, and before leaving zach's room, she asked, "oh, do you want your hoodie?"

"actually, yes, i'm doing my laundry tonight," zach answered, turning away from elena so she could change out of it.

she tossed him the hoodie, and zach took a sniff. he smiled, "smells like pear and raspberry."

"yup, that's my signature scent," elena remarked.

"hey, um, before you leave... can i ask you a question?" zach brought up.

"what's up?" elena questioned, turning on the swivel chair to face him.

"do you want to go to prom with me?" zach asked.

elena smiled, "of course, zach."

"alright, great," zach remarked, "prom is next week and i know you already have a dress, but with studying for finals and the stress because of graduation i've had, like, no time to come up with a grand way to ask you. i'm really sorry, ellie."

"it's fine," elena mentioned, "i already knew we were going together, and i don't need a grand gesture. having you is more than enough."

...

a / n :

i smell something fishy with zack
and elena... also, elena's signature
scent is important!