sixty-four ☆ the truth

MAY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

it was the final night before departing from hawaii, but the night was still young. midnight was just two hours away, and the students were at the beach preparing the bonfire. audrey had informed the main nine that there would be just a few other people, but there were practically twenty-five students in total.

starting from the left, the seating order was presley, corbyn, daniel, june, elena, zach, rosaline, jack, and then jonah. other students such as audrey scott, caleb davis, lillian turner, and noelle lakes were also sitting in the circle around the bonfire. everyone was laughing as they talked about past memories, but a loud voice made everyone jump, "the party don't start till i walk in!"

elena was the most startled since she easily recognized the voice. her ex-boyfriend, zack, was walking toward the large group of people with a cooler in his right hand.

"is that..." corbyn started, turning toward elena.

elena nodded, "yup, it's zack."

zach's head whipped around, and his eyes filled with alarm as his met elena's, "that's zack paterson... your ex?"

"unfortunately," elena replied, "this is kind of weird, i haven't really talked to him since the day he asked me to homecoming."

"wait, he asked you to homecom—" zach started, getting cut off by zack's words.

"thought we could spice things up," zack started, opening the cooler, "i have every flavor of white claw known to mankind."

a lot of people started grabbing drinks from the cooler, and sat back down in their spots. zack asked, "elena, you're not getting anything?"

"no thanks, zack," elena answered, refusing to turn her body to even face her ex-boyfriend.

"come on, el, i know you love raspberry," zack remarked, holding out the seltzer, "if there was a pear and raspberry fusion flavor i know you'd love it. it's your signature scent. i know from all the times you wore my hoodie."

"she said she doesn't want anything, okay?" zach declared, glaring at zack.

zack tilted his head, and smirked, "and who do you think you are?"

"i'm zach... with an h," zach stated, putting his arm around the dark-haired girl next to him, "i'm elena's boyfriend."

"okay, zach with an h," zack chuckled, "you want anything?"

"he doesn't drink," elena answered for him.

"...or maybe he's just a pussy?" zack suggested.

zach shook his head, but held his hand out, "toss me a lime?"

zack passed the boy a lime spiked seltzer, and he took a sip. elena sat uncomfortably as her current boyfriend and ex-boyfriend continued to talk with passive-aggressiveness in their tone.

"alright, shall we play some games?" audrey suggested, "how about some would you rather?"

everyone nodded in agreement, and audrey started, "june finley... would you rather kiss daniel or corbyn?"

june's cheeks immediately became red, and she was worried that people knew her and daniel kissed the day prior, "uh... corbyn obviously."

"prove it!" someone shouted, causing everyone to chant prove it.

corbyn turned to june, and gave her a face saying we only have to do this if you want to. june responded to him by giving him a face that said it's our only option. the two quickly planted a short, but still sweet, kiss on each other's lips. presley uncomfortably observed as she remembered the sight of june and daniel's lips attached from the day before.