twenty-one ☆ i have to tell you something

OCTOBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"he just left my message on read," elena sighed, showing june and daniel her phone.

"i know zach is quiet and all, but he always keeps his word," june pointed out, "if he said he was going to be here tonight, then something happened which resulted to him not coming."

"he could be in some big trouble," elena concluded, "i have to find him."

the brunette stood up from the table, and ran to the gym's exit.

"zach!" elena called out.

as she continued to walk all over oakland, she called and texted zach. he never picked up, but read all of her messages.

"why isn't he replying to me?" elena groaned.

the girl kept looking left and right for zach, but she eventually found herself right in front of the sunflower field. the gates were closed, but elena had a feeling zach was there. she hopped over the fence, and headed right where her and zach's spot was.

"zach!" elena shouted.

all she heard back was silence, and the girl felt a wave of disappointment. she was about to leave the field, but she stopped in her steps when she heard something move in the sunflowers. elena walked toward where the sound was coming from, and as she got closer, she heard whimpering.

"zach?" elena whispered, enabling the flashlight on her phone.

she found zach, and he was hiding in the sunflowers. the light made his red and puffy eyes noticeable, and there were tears streaming down his eyes.

"oh my gosh, zach," elena gasped, immediately sitting down next to him.

she put the boy's head near her torso, and she sat with him in silence until his cries began to stop.

"wh-why are you h-here?" zach asked, his breath shaking.

"i came looking for you," elena remarked, "i noticed you never showed up at the dance, and i got concerned."

zach sat up from elena's hold, and rubbed his eyes one final time, "so... you left the dance for me?"

elena nodded, "i left because i love you, zach."

"y-you love me?" zach inquired, his voice shaking.

"of course i do," elena responded, "i love all of my friends."

zach slightly smiled, and the two sat in silence for a few minutes. they were staring at the night sky, and zach placed his hand on top of elena's.

the brunet cleared his throat, "i have to tell you something."

"what?" elena asked.

"remember our deal a few weeks ago?" zach mentioned, earning a nod from elena, "since i didn't show up to homecoming, i'm going to tell you why i was crying."

"zach, you really don't have to," elena stated.

zach shook his head, "i have to, ellie. plus, it's related to why i was crying tonight."

"alright," elena agreed, "tell me what happened."

...

a / n :

you'll find out next chapter, i promise ;)