seventeen ☆ you guys are done

SEPTEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

it was a regular monday morning, and elena walked into the doors of oakland high school. the homecoming game and dance are both going to be located at the oakland high. elena was just expecting to grab her books and head to class, but there was a crowd of people surrounding her locker.

elena squished through the crowd, and saw the person she least expected. it was zack paterson, and he was holding a poster.

-

flowers are the SECOND
most beautiful thing, can i go to
homecoming with the FIRST?

-

elena stood there in shock. she didn't know how to react to the huge gesture that was right in front of her.

"elena, i'm sorry," zack sighed, "we've gone to every dance together. the kindergarten square dance, the eighth grade spring fling, and so much more. i'd love to attend homecoming with you for the third time."

everyone gasped, but elena couldn't speak. it was as if her mouth were zipped up, and nothing could come out.

"hey!" corbyn shouted, "what do you think you're doing, paterson?"

zack cleared his throat, "i'm asking elena to homecoming. why do you care, besson?"

"because she's our friend," rosaline joined in, "and you guys are done."

"plus, you were the one who ended it," presley added.

"guys, i'm fine," elena declared, "zack, this was a sweet gesture, but the answer is no. i already have a date to homecoming."

the crowd of people gasped, and zack said, "what?"

"sorry, bud, she's moved on," daniel stated.

the crowd of people began to dissipate, and they left elena and her friends by her locker.

"i can't believe he did that," rosaline scoffed, "he's the one who initiated the breakup, and now he's asking you as if nothing happened? what a jerk."

"this is not how i expected my monday to start," elena admitted, shutting her locker, "well, whatever. it's homecoming spirit week, and i'm not going to let my ex ruin everything for me."

...

a / n :

i bet you all can figure out who zack paterson, but there's still more to his story with elena (: