Chapter Two

Chapter two.

Slowly opening my eyes, I find myself in a white room; confused as to how I got there. I sat up suddenly, remembering what had happened, my heart beating furiously in its panic as I searched the room for my child. “Oh, you’re awake.” Wynne’s voice came to me, from a chair next to my bed. “Your son is adorable. What’s his name?” She passes him to me just as I was readying myself to attack her, seemingly feeling my panic and desperation. I sat quietly, feeling my heart slow down as relief coursed through my body. I couldn’t lose another one, not now. Wynne shifted about in her chair, and I snapped my head towards her, remembering her question. “He has no name, yet.” I replied, my silken voice surprising her. I couldn’t help but pry into her mind, to wonder why she reacted the way she did.

‘It sounds like she’s singing her words, only she’s not. I’ve never heard a wolf that sounds so... smooth.’

I inwardly give a dry laugh. I’m not a wolf. Of course I sound different. I turn to smile at her, just as  I notice footsteps from outside the room.

A voice sliding from the far side of the room made both of us jump. “You haven’t named him yet? Isn’t that what mother wolves do first with their children, name them? ....Unless you weren’t planning on keeping him around....” A voice growled out, leaking authority.

That must be the Alpha, I thought, staring at him. A large figure walks towards my bed, and I protectively pull my baby closer to me, stiffening a hiss that was trying to force its way from my throat. How dare this stupid dog threaten me and my child. He knew nothing of what I had been through and yet he was so quick to judge.

“No good mother would leave a child unnamed.” He taunted

“How would you know? Do you push babies out of your vagina too?” I snicker back at him, hiding my hurt at his words. I don’t care who this man is, he’d better get out of my face before I break his.

“How DARE you disrespect an Alpha that way?!” he yelled at me, surprise flitting across his face when I snarl back at him in reply.

“You’re not my Alpha; you hold no power over me.” I hiss back at him.

 “You’re rouge on my land. I have the right to kill you.” He snarled, moving towards me.

“I guess I’ll have to fix that then.” My smooth voice sounding calm once more. I stand up from the bed, noticing my clothes were clean, and lean over, taking my car keys from the bedside table.

“You’re not going anywhere. You’re staying here and resting.” The dog said, using his authoritative tone on me. I snicker, and attempt to brush past him, when he catches me, stopping me from moving. “You will stay here.” He ordered. I look up at him, an age old hatred suddenly flitting across my face and filling my mind.

“Why should I?” I spit out at him venomously “I’m not even of the same species as you. According to your stupid, medieval beliefs, I don’t even exist. You’re like a human to me, weak and stupid. I’m just one of your mythical creatures.” As he raises his hand to slap me I quickly drop my keys on the floor and lift my hand, stopping his with ease. I can’t help but feel a perverse satisfaction as his eyes pop open with surprise, and his mouth forms an ‘O’. Hurrying out of the room before I make the situation worse, I break into a run once I know they can’t see me. I couldn’t stay here, not now that I opened my stupid mouth and said something.

I race along the insides of the building, smelling the air for my scent, which is all over my Ute. Living in it sure had its good parts. As I race along the hallway, I end up running towards a boy who appeared to be my age. I see him step sideways too late, I only manage to turn and smash into him with my back, to protect the little one. He protectively holds me above him, his body breaking the fall to the floor. He must have seen me then. No wolf has the ability to react that quickly, I inwardly sigh to myself, I only wonder why he moved towards me, rather than away.

I feel the misery fill my body once more, as I lie on the floor with his arms wrapped around me. No man that wasn’t related to me has held me this way before. It only makes me feel worse, now that I had lost five of my kittens. I slowly pull myself from him, and he gets up quickly behind me.

“Turn.” He orders “Turn and look and me.”

I refuse, keeping my eyes trained to the hallway that I had run along before, and seeing the Alpha approach us. I feel panic surge through my body once more, causing the little one to mewl loudly. “I said turn and look at me!” He yells, angrily at my back. I turn and face the boy; maybe the Alpha dog wouldn’t hurt us too bad, if he saw that I was not moving.

He smiles at me cheerfully, but I bite my lip and fight back the tears that threaten to fall down my face, my baby mewling loudly, frightened in my arms. I had failed him, my only son. By trying to protect him from the world that threatened his life, I had failed him. I thought I could protect us from the wolves, I thought I could trick them into letting us rest here, and because of my stupidity my little boy was in grave danger. I felt the world beginning to collapse around me, as the Alpha grew nearer.

As the Alpha appeared behind me, slowing, the boy said one word, directed towards me. “Mate.”