Part 3 - Why reminisce?

When I was young I declined to slip into the "pit of reminiscence" because I thought that it was a waste of time thinking about my past experiences which had already become unchangeable histories. When nostalgic mood crept into my head, I distracted the thought by indulging myself into doing other activities.

On the other hand, I believe that "the past is never dead" and we are partly products of our past. I acknowledge that the past experiences can provide me useful reference, reflection, and inspiration to move forward. Hence, I've given myself a naïve excuse - I'll reminisce when I grow older.

Older?

When?

Now.

Two years ago, I knew that two of my friends (i.e. a 30-year old female doctor and a 40-year old male friend) were very ill and they passed away unexpectedly. They were full of talents and ambitions. Their deaths were huge losses to their loved ones, families, and the communities at large. Dying at a young age with unexpected illness might not have crossed their minds. The agony and sense of helplessness during the process of dying could be "suffocating". I was overseas and unable to attend their funerals. This has left a sense of lack of closure in me.

I've realized that life is full of uncertainties including unexpected death. Appreciating the presence, reviewing the past experiences, and planning for the future are something that I would like to do every now and then.

Reminisce does not imply being enthralled in thinking of the glory or agony of the past experiences. Remaining at the top of grandiose feeling or down at the bottom of the abyss of agony is counterproductive. I believe that I should learn from the past experiences and move on with my life. Reminisce at the right place and the right time is better than being obsessed with it. This is easier said than done? I acknowledge that we may have different views about this.

*****

A notable quote:

Zosia Mamet: "People idealize or reminisce about their 20s, but nobody tells you beforehand that it's hard and unglamorous and often very unpleasant."

Reference: brainyquote website