Part 36 - Caring & Sharing

Background: 2004 - 2005 (Age 37 - 38 years)

In the evening, I went to work in the nursing home. This time by myself.

Another AIN called "Don" (the name was changed to protect his confidentiality) was bossy as he claimed himself to be more experienced.

"KC, you look after the residents in rooms xxxxxxxxxx, and I will do the rest," Don instructed.

Wow, rooms xxxxxxxxxx were a lot for a new AIN. But, I did as I was instructed.

The routines: toileting, showering, feeding, transferring from bed to chair and vice versa, documenting BO BO BNO BNO etc.

Gwen didn't call out Jesus that evening. She was unwell. She was tucked in and had a quiet night.

I also looked after another elderly resident – Dean. He was in his seventy. He had a stroke and was wheelchair-bound. I wheeled him to his room and transferred him to the bed. I saw an old photograph of twin teenage boys by his bedside.

"Who are they?" I asked.

"My twin brother and me," he replied and stared right into the photograph. His stare brought him back to his loving memory, I guessed.

"Gorgeous," I said jovially.

He smiled.

"Where's your twin?" I asked curiously.

He frowned and replied in a sad tone: "He died after a massive heart attack."

"I am sorry to hear that," I said while tucking him in the bed. I saw his eyes were filled with tears which were shining like the stars in the gloomy night.

"Good night, Dean," I said softly.

He nodded. Light off.

*****

I was doing a 'general medicine rotation' at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. Dr. McGrath was a physician and my supervisor. She was a passionate teacher.

"KC, you shall present long cases to me every Friday. I will meet you in my office," Dr. McGrath said.

"Sure," I noted.

The routines included ward rounds, grand rounds, tutorial sessions, and seeing more patients. The news of students failing this particular rotation was frightening. The rumor of a 'bad cop examiner' was worrying too. A 'bad cop examiner' was an examiner who was rumored to fail many medical students in the clinical examination called OSCE. I prayed hard that I would not meet this 'bad cop'.

One Friday afternoon, I went to present my long cases to Dr. McGrath.

Knock, knock.

"Come in," Dr. McGrath answered.

The door opened.

Beside a cabinet, stood a bicycle. And a helmet was on the desk.

Out of curiosity, I asked: "Do you cycle to work?"

"Yes," she replied.

Wow, a healthy lifestyle was demonstrated by action, not merely by preaching.

I presented my cases and she provided positive reinforcements on things that I did right, corrected my mistakes, and provided direction for further learning.

I enjoyed and benefited from the teaching.

*****

I was worried about the OSCE examination and had asked the senior students for help. Fabian, Eunice, and Yaw were helpful. I volunteered to be their simulated patient in role-plays of clinical cases.

In a role-play as a patient with a peripheral vascular disease, I was nearly 'conned' into removing my pant for a physical examination. It was fun and educational.

"You shall think outside the box, for an example, upper abdominal pain may not be merely due to gastro causes, it can be caused by lower lobe pneumonia too," Yaw explained.

"Sure, thanks for sharing," I replied.

"You can have my spare stethoscope," Yaw handed me a stethoscope.

"Spare? I can have it?" I asked.

"Yes, keep it," he said.

"Thanks! I need it," I received the gift with gratitude. It was much appreciated.

I shall acknowledge the help from Fabian, Eunice, Yaw and many others. Thank you!

=======

Notable quote:

"When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed."
― Maya Angelou