Part 21 Turning a new chapter - Just about

Background: 1999 (Age 32 years)

Tonight, it was serene and breezy at the National University of Singapore campus. The street lights cast shadows of the students on the footpath. Holding our year-end academic transcripts and with different facial expressions, we (the students) left the classroom and headed to our destinations.

Richard, a more mature student in the class, came to strike up a conversation: "Ah Wong, I heard that you passed with flying colors."

In Singapore and Malaysia, it is quite common that people greet their friends with the surnames. This practice may not be appropriate to some people. If someone calls out "Ah Wong" in my house, we (all siblings) will response. Although I don't like to be called "Ah Wong", I responded to him as a courtesy.

"Hey, Richard, I scored seven A's and a B+. How about you?" I replied with a big grin on my face.

Richard nodded and said: "So-so. Time to go home. Goodbye."

I waved. Richard got into his car, slammed the door, and disappeared under the dim street lights. That was the last time I saw Richard. After completing the master degree course, we never met.

Got into a taxi, I sat in the back seat. My grin could not be contained as the elation persisted. I remembered the scene when I passed exams with flying colors in primary school. The childhood scene flashed back in my head. I ran across the coconut-tree-bridge, dashed into my wooden house in Sungai Siput, and raised my voice to announce my excellent academic results to Ah Ma (Part 6 in this memoir). Thinking of the scene, I had an urge to call Ah Ma.

I lived in Johor Bahru, a town in Johor, Malaysia. I drove to Johor Bahru - Singapore Immigration Checkpoint; I parked my car in a shopping mall at Johor Bahru, then I took public transport to go to work in Singapore. Occasionally, I drove across the causeway to Singapore to meet clients. That night, I parked my car at Johor Bahru, and took a taxi to go to the National University of Singapore to meet my professor and coursemates.

"Hey, here you go," the Chinese taxi driver spoke to me in a hoarse voice while signaling to me that I had arrived at my destination.

The voice interrupted my thoughts. I handed him the taxi fare and got off while still holding tight to my "7A, 1B +" master degree transcript which I appreciated so much. From this master degree course, I acquired a substantial knowledge that could be applied in medical research. I regained my confidence in my ability to study and pass exams at the age 32. The excellent academic results, the confidence, and the story of "25550 days" (part 20), rekindled my desire to become a doctor. I can pursue a Ph.D. course instead. But, I was determined to study medicine.

After having a shower, I put on a T-shirt and short. It was 11.30PM, and too late to call Ah Ma. I would call her tomorrow which was a weekend. Sitting in front of my computer which was not yet switched on, I saw the reflection of my T-shirt "Y2K" logo on the screen. Y2K meant the year 2000. The whole world was preparing for the transition from the year 1999 to 2000. The media also encouraged people to plan for their future and realize their ideals and aspirations in the new century ahead.

In the midst of this Y2K spirit, I took my first step to search for the possibility to study medicine as a mature student. I searched and surfed the internet with a hope to find some relevant information. Time passed quickly. It was 1AM. When I was about to log off, I found a book in Google. The title of the book was "Applying to Medical School for the Non-traditional Student, by Bryan Goss, 1997". The book contained records of interviews of mature non-traditional students successfully admitted to medical schools. Bingo! That was the book! I placed an order for it immediately. This was my first and important step towards the realization of my ambition to become a doctor. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."* I agreed absolutely. I felt that I was just about to turn a new chapter in my life.

Reference: * brainyquote website (/quotes/laotzu)