Part 24 - Turning Point

Background: 2000 (Age 33 years)

A professor in the School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, wrote an e-mail to notify me that my application would not be considered because I was too old to study the "medicine and Ph.D. course".

My thoughts ran rampant in my head.

Should I give up?

No!

I was too old to study medicine. I wouldn't make it.

No!

I wouldn't give up simply. I would continue to look for opportunities to study medicine.

********

One night, I came home from work. On my way home, I ate my dinner at a Malaysian restaurant. I read a local newspaper and discovered a news that read "International Medical University (IMU) has offered twinning-medical-courses together with more than 20 well-established medical schools in the world for many years. The international partner medical schools are located in various countries such as United Kingdom (University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, University of Aberdeen etc.), Ireland (National University of Ireland), Australia (University of Queensland, University of Sydney, University of Adelaide etc.), New Zealand (University of Otago), Canada (Dalhousie University), and so on. The first 2.5 years medical science course is conducted in the capital of Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur). Students who have passed the medical science course can choose to go abroad or stay in Malaysia to complete their clinical training which will take another two to three years. The entire course will take 5 to 5.5 years depending on the pathway."

This news opened the door for me to apply to study medicine!

The essay that I had written and the excellent 7-A transcript from my Master Degree (National University of Singapore) came in handy to support my application. After submitting the application forms and documents, I awaited eagerly.

Meanwhile, I had three major problems.

(A) My saving was not sufficient to pay the fees for the medical degree and living expenses.

(B) I would have zero income when I resigned from my current job. I would be "downgraded" from an engineering consultant to a student. Could I adapt to the life as a mature medical student?

(C) How could I convince my elderly mother, and my siblings who were all married and had their own financial burdens?

With the mind of an engineer, I planned meticulously.

If my application was successful, I would resign. But I would maintain a good relationship with the company so that I could pick up casual teaching jobs and earn some money while I was studying.

I would sell my car to get some cash and cut down future expenses, suspend my payment of premiums for my life insurance policy, lease my apartment to other people in order to pay partial instalment for my home loan, and rent a shared room. I would use my savings to pay for the fees and expenses in the first 2.5 years. In my spare time, I would work part-time such as teaching, writing, working as a research assistant, or a nurse assistant, etc. I planned to work part time to earn the rest of the fees and living expenses.

It looked like a good plan. But my future was full of uncertainties.

Would there be such opportunities, time, and energy to earn money while I studied medicine?

I could not and should not add any burden to my family or friends!

However, I would not give up my ambition!

Well, I informed Ah Ma.

"Ma, I have applied to study medicine. I am awaiting the results."

"You're thirty-three, you still want to study medicine? You should get married."

"Studying medicine and getting married are two different matters. Even if I do not study medicine, I may remain single."

"When you studied engineering in Singapore, I sold our wooden house to help you. Now, I'm 72 years old, I have got nothing to help you."

"Ma, I'm grateful to you. Don't worry, I am planning properly. Let's wait for the result of my application and the subsequent selection interview."

The above conversation triggered a flashback in my mind – "Goodbye, Sungai Siput" (Part 13 & 14). The sorrow crept into my heart.