Part 26 - Mature medical student

Background: 2000 - 2001 (Age 33 - 34 years)

I returned to work at Singapore while awaiting the results of the interview.

One evening, I did my laundry. A small piece of dog-eared paper dropped out from the pocket of the white shirt. An email address -"Dr. Cheong xxxxx" – was written on the paper. Oh, that was the contact given by an admin personnel at the university; she said, "You may contact one of our graduates who has completed her medical degree in Canada, here is her email address."

I turned on my personal laptop computer which had a cracked LCD monitor (the consequence from dropping it on the ground). Repairing or buying a new computer was not on the cards because I was saving every dollar to study medicine.

"Dear Dr. Cheong, I am KC and planning to study medicine. I wish to find out your experience as you have completed your first 2.5 years of the medical course in Kuala Lumpur before going overseas to complete the clinical training....." It was quite a lengthy email. I explained my situation and sought her advice.

The email was sent.

*****

A few weeks after the interview, I received an offer letter from the university. Excited! But knowing that not everyone was supportive of my plan to study medicine at age 33, I did not go crazy announcing this news to all relatives and friends at once. I would let them know as I progressed. The more challenging tasks facing me were resigning from my full-time job as an engineering consultant, selling my car, putting my apartment to the rental market, and looking for an alternative accommodation etc. The 'things to do list' went on.

I switched on the computer and found an email reply from Dr. Cheong.

"Hi there, I have finally settled everything (though the phone line won't be activated till Monday!) I am working in a beautiful city, not as small as I expected. I've seen the hospital and everyone's very friendly here...." (Note: these sentences were extracted from Dr. Cheong's email. Owing to confidentiality, the entire email is not included here.) Basically, she was happy with her experience studying the first part of the medical course in Kuala Lumpur (KL) before going overseas to complete the medical degree. This email came at the right time as it boosted my morale to proceed.

A blank Word document was opened. I typed the following:

"Dear Mr. Chua (Managing Director), I have been enjoying my career as an engineering consultant in your organization. This letter may come as a surprise to you. I have decided to resign from my position in order to study medicine. This decision was a consequence of a 'pull factor' rather than a 'push factor'. I enjoy working in the engineering profession. There isn't any negative force that pushes me to leave this profession; it is my strong determination to become a doctor has pulled me into embarking on the challenging journey......"

It took me quite an effort to write the resignation letter as I attempted to justify that I was not insane in making the decision. The letter was completed and printed.

***

"Are you sure with your decision?" Mr. Chua asked in a voice full of surprise. The surprise might have caused his spectacle sliding down his nose. He pushed it up the bridge of his nose while maintaining eye contact with me.

"This decision may make people think that I am going insane; I have thought about it thoroughly and I am determined," I reaffirmed.

"Well, I will keep this letter. If you change your mind, let me know," he gave in.

"Thank you, I would like to take up casual teaching jobs here during my university vacation," I said with an intention to maintain the rapport.

"Sure," he replied in a supportive voice.

I felt the rapport maintained.

On that day, I spoke to a friend who was my former engineering colleague.

"You want to study medicine at the age of 33?" Calvin asked with his eyebrows raised and knitted together.

"Yes, I'm determined," I answered without a trace of hesitation.

Calvin knew that I am a strong-minded person. Once I had made up my mind, nothing could change it.

The news of my resignation was soon made known to all colleagues; most of them were surprised but wouldn't attempt to change my mind. I marked on my planner my last working day and since then I was extra cautious in my expenses because soon I would have zero income.

*****

I contacted a few university mates who lived in a rental apartment close to the university. I met a young guy, Lin Tai, who would be my roommate. He is humble and mature in his thinking. On the day we met, his girlfriend was visiting him. There were three other guys sharing the apartment. All four of them were my 'seniors' though they were nearly 14 years younger than me. They accepted me to share the rental apartment. We had a chat to get to know each other and to go through some daily routines such as attending lectures, using and cleaning of a shared toilet/ bathroom, cooking dinner etc. so that we wouldn't clash with our timetables. I would have a space to put my study desk in the living room, and a mattress as my bed on the floor in the shared bedroom. I was happy with the arrangement, and I paid a deposit.

"Hello Sis, I will be moving out from Johor Bahru to KL to study medicine," I informed my eldest sister who was not shocked by my decision as we had discussed at length, "I will sell my car closer to the day of moving to KL."

"Let us know if we can help," she offered her help.

"I am fine at present," I reassured her.

But, deep in my heart, an overwhelming feeling surged because I would soon have zero income and I would let go my car and property. And a series of challenges were right in front of me.