Thirty One

THIRTY ONE

____________________________

We made it into Lechston early morning. It was a beautiful time to be awake in the city. The light was just breaking out over the city, casting it in vivid pinks and blues. As the plane dropped lower and lower to the ground I could make out the little details of the city I couldn't from up above. Cars zipped back and forth on the roads below and there was brief flashes of moments as people made their way down the sidewalk. Lechston was the city that never slept. No matter what time of the day it was always alive. Not like Riverview. Riverview almost always felt dead.

Looking at it, it reminded me of something I might paint. I used to always think about it when I'd come here with my family. I wanted to show the colors and the darkness. Lechston was a dark city but it looked so bright. I could see how I would do it. I could see how Parker would do it. I shook my head, cutting that thought off before it could fully grow. No. I wouldn't think about him. I couldn't. I pushed it down, turning away from the window. We were getting ready to unload.

"When was the last time we were up, darling?" mom asked.

Her question wasn't directed to any one person. I ignored it, letting dad pick it up instead. He seemed willing to talk more as of lately. Work must be going good or maybe he had holiday cheer. Whatever. It didn't change. He would be back to himself in no time. "When was that? Two maybe three years?" he asked, unsure. He probably didn't remember at all. He usually like to visit grandma and grandpa at least once a year. Or he used to before Pierce died. We kind of slipped off the radar for a while after his death. It even spread out, affecting our extended family.

I stood with everyone off, making my way off the plane. After several minutes I finally emerged, dropping down onto the pavement. I followed my parents through the crowds, picking up our baggage. I had always hated travelling. It was a pain in the ass. A lot of crowded places and rude people. To say the least when we emerged from the airport I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulder, but it was quickly put back on during the drive to my grandparents.

I had always had a tense relationship with my parents. That was always a fact. To say that my relationship with all my family was tense would be a bit of an exaggeration. I had, had Pierce. As far as everyone else it had been rocky. It started because Pierce was everyone's favorite. I didn't mind. I got it, really. I was always moody and hard to get along with while Pierce was upbeat. After Pierce died it became more about his death. It was me who had killed him in their eyes. They were more reserved about their opinions than my parents, but they still thought it nonetheless. It was even worse after they found out about the drugs and the alcohol. So to say I wasn't looking forward to the reunion would be accurate. I was dreading it.

"Darling?" mom asked.

"What?" I hadn't been listening.

"The bags, Spencer."

I looked over my shoulder, realizing that we were at my grandparent's home. I sighed, climbing out of the car. I did as she asked, grabbing the bags out of the trunk. I watched as dad rushed inside, not bothering to ask if mom and I needed helped. "Didn't see that coming?" I mumbled to myself. I looked over at mom. "Great help he was." I shifted the bags in my arms, trying to grab another while I was at it. I just wanted to get inside and upstairs as fast as possible.

"He's just excited, darling."

"Mom, he's fourty eight."

She just ignored me, taking up several bags herself. I threw her one last glared before wobbling up to the steps. I shifted the bags in my arms again, trying to get the door handle. Just as I grabbed it the door flew open, startling me. I gasped, trying to keep my balance but it was hopeless. I dropped the bags. "Jesus Christ!" I hissed. I heard a laughed and looked up to find grandpa.