Six

SIX

_________________________________

I knew before I even stepped inside the house what to expect. I knew as soon as I left the principal’s office. So when I stepped into the kitchen it was no surprise at all that I found both mom and dad waiting. I stopped, glancing between the two of them. “I didn’t expect to see you both home so early,” I said casually. I dropped my purse onto the table, making my way to the refrigerator. I pulled a bottle of water out of it, unscrewing the cap.

“I got an interesting call today,” dad said.

“Oh, what was that about?”

I took a sip of the water, trying to hide my anxiety. It was proving harder than I thought. I hadn’t seen dad in several days since I had breakfast with him. He had been more distant lately. He leveled me with a glare. “I think you know exactly what it was about, Spencer,” he said flatly. “Ms. Dietrich informed us that you had attacked another student. What the hell were you thinking? You are supposed to be better than petty fights. Not only that you just walked out! You didn’t even try to defend yourself.” His hands were clenched into fist. I wondered if he might hit me for a second but I knew he wouldn’t. My dad was a lot of things but he wasn’t abusive.

“What was the point?” I asked.

“Are you serious?” Dad sputtered.

I sighed. My patience was shot. I was feeling less and less in control lately. I especially didn’t feel like arguing this with him. It was done. I couldn’t change it and I wouldn’t even if I could. “You talk to me like you think I should do something about it. What is there to do?” I asked him nonchalantly. I could see mom looking more and more displeased out of the corner of my eyes. “I won’t say I’m sorry or that I knew I shouldn’t have done it. I don’t feel that way. If that bothers you then it does. Now I got homework.” I grabbed my bottle and started for the stairs but just as I turned a hand wrapped around my wrist, jerking me back.

“Samuel!” my mother cried. The force of his pull was so strong that I couldn’t right myself. I flailed trying to grab onto something to stop my fall but I wasn’t fast enough—I fell. I looked up to see a brief look flash through his eyes but then his eyes hardened again. He looked like he was going to say something but instead he shook his head, leaving the room. My eyes dropped to the floor. “He didn’t mean to do that, honey. You know that, right?” Mom kneeled down beside me, looking absolutely panicked. I thought for a second that maybe she cared but her next words knocked me back. “You shouldn’t antagonize him.”

I pushed myself off the ground angrily. Mom quickly stood with me, wringing her hands on her shirt. I glared at her. “Don’t worry about it. I won’t be around to antagonize him,” I said to her. I snatched my bag off the table, storming out of the house. I jumped into my car, booking it down the street to Jasmine’s house. It was where I always went when things like this happened. I pulled in front of her house, turning off my car. I stared up at it, deliberating whether to go in or not. I knew Jasmine would want me to, but what she wanted and what I thought I should do were two totally different things. I hated telling her my problems and she always wanted to know.

I took a deep breath before I climbed out of my car, crossing the front yard. I crept around back to the back door. Jasmine’s room was downstairs. I didn’t like to come to her front door, especially when he parents were home. I didn’t want them to see me like this. I knocked a knuckle against the glass, watching as Jasmine looked up from where she was sitting on her bed. A smile spread across her face at seeing me but quickly disappeared when she saw the state I was in. It wouldn’t be noticeable to a stranger or even my parents, but Jasmine knew. She saw more about me than most people did. She always knew what I was thinking or what I was feeling.