Twenty Eight

TWENTY EIGHT

____________________________

As Christmas approached I was becoming more and more bummed out. The dinner party may be done but that did not mean I was free to enjoy the holiday as I saw fit. So I stayed around the house often watching the television and snow fall. A day had passed since the dinner and I hadn't heard a word from Parker. I was worried. Normally I wouldn't have cared, but he was different. I sighed, picking up my phone. No messages. I dropped it back onto the table, turning my attention back to the television. And then the doorbell rang.

"Coming!" I called.

I padded down the hall, making my way to the door. I opened it and what I saw sent a smile spreading across my face. "Parker! What are you doing here?" I asked. I thought my voice sounded a little higher than normal. I pushed the thought away, focusing on the moment. I was so happy to see him. I had thought for one crazy second that my parents had scared him away. I couldn't have blamed him either. They were my parents and they scared the hell out of me.

He grabbed my hand, stepping inside the house. He leaned down, planting a kiss on my lips. I responded instantly, twining my fingers in his hair. After a few minutes he stepped back, a dazzling smile on his face. "I have an idea for tonight. I want to do something special just the two of us for Christmas. I know you'll be busy with your family and I'm going to visit my grandparents. I might even see dad. So now is the best time," he explained to me. I lead him into the living room, sitting down on the couch next to him. "So let me take you out tonight. Really take you out. I want to make it something you'll remember."

"You don't have to."

"I want to," he said.

I sighed. "Fine."

He snaked an arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. I leaned into him, taking the support he offered. "So wear something warm. I'm taking out outdoors. That is the only hint you will get," he announced. He stood up, pulling me with him. "Now off you go! I got arrangements to make." I laughed, making my way back up the stairs. I wonder where he was going to take me? I ran over possibilities in my mind as I got changed and fixed my hair. By the time I was ready it was already dark outside. I flopped down onto the couch, waiting for Parker to pick me up. It was only a few minutes later when I heard the bell again. I rushed to the door, barely containing my excitement. I stepped outside. "Lead the way."

He held up a finger. "Not yet. I want you to put this over eyes," he told me, holding up a blindfold. I gave him a withering look. He has got to be joking. He laughed. "Come on! Humor me." I sighed, turning around. He wrapped with around, carefully tying it so not to catch my hair. He grabbed me by the shoulders, moving me towards the car. I followed after him stumbling. Finally we reached the car and he eased me into it, making sure I didn't hit my head.

"So this is definitely something I'll remember," I said.

I heard him slide inside the car. I heard the car start and then felt it moving. He didn't say anything and I figured he probably wouldn't until we reached our destination. I leaned back in the seat, relaxing. I closed my eyes. I wasn't sure how much time passed but eventually I felt the car coming to a stop. Parker helped me out of the car, leading me again. If it wasn't hard already it was made worse by the fact that he led me up stairs. It was constant stumbled and scrambling on my part, but eventually we arrived at the top. "Okay, here we are," he said in my ear. He removed the blindfold.

I blinked several times, trying to get used to the night again. A smile spread over my lips. We were on the roof that he showed me all those months ago, but tonight it was so much different. He had a blanket spread out across the roof with food waiting. On the blanket he also had some candles waiting to be lit. It was beautiful and sweet and I knew I would never forget it. I turned towards him, wrapping my arms around me. "You're awesome, you know that?" He just laughed, pulling me towards the blanket. I sat down, allowing him to serve me. "Did you make this?" I pointed towards the green bean casserole and the other foods on my plate.