Nine: Force of Nature

Start from the beginning

She hit it right on the nail with that one. My lips parted, but no sound came out. I just stared back at her, a warm blush rising to my face. 

Cece's lips tightened, shaking her head again and stood up. "I can only tell you to be careful, Gigi. Your heart is delicate right now. And letting that asshole mess with it, even more, is only going to make things worse. Drastically."

My sister made her way past me, stopping to kiss the side of my head and mumbled that she'd stay awake to keep an eye out for me. She left my room, closing the door behind her. I just stood there, biting my lip as I thought about my sister's words. Her concerns and Eden's. 

I was now doubting if I had the strength to face Ridge and to hear what he had to say. My sister was right about how delicate my heart was right now. I wasn't sure how much more it could take.

I took a deep breath, removing my robe and tossing it on the bed. My clock read eight-twenty, which gave me ten minutes to decide if I was going to show up to see Ridge or not. But my feet carried me to the window which meant that I was going. I bit my lip, tugging awkwardly at my shorts then tried to be quiet as possible to open the window.

Sticking out one leg, I slipped the rest of me out and stood on the platform edge of the roof. I turned my head over my shoulder, taking a short look over of all the belongings in my room before turning away and slowly slid down to the edge of the roof. I jumped off, wincing when I landed wrong on my leg and sucked in a breath from the zing of pain shooting up.

I had to wait a few minutes, taking baby steps forward to balance myself on my feet again. Once pain-free, I snuck around the edge of the house, peering around. My eyes widened seeing my little brother talking to one of his friends on the porch. This was nothing unusual since Cody was allowed to hang out with his friends as long as my parents were still awake. 

Tilting my head a bit to listen in on the conversation, I could hear Cody's friend---I think it was Mark--- softly asking if Cody had told his parents yet. My little brother didn't reply and Mark sighed that it wasn't exactly fair of Cody to expect Mark to be OK with keeping 'this' a secret if Cody wasn't planning on talking about it to his parents down the line.

My little brother grumbled something about it not being that easy and that Cody was scared. He didn't know what to say and that he can't help how he feels. Mark sighed and then replied, "You're one of my best friends, Cody. But how exactly is it OK for me to be accepting of this and not your family? They are so open-minded."

I narrowed my eyes, peering a little more around the corner. Raising an eyebrow I saw Cody and Mark still on the porch but my little brother's head rested on Mark's shoulder. It wasn't something I saw often with Cody and his friends. At all, actually. Which was why I observed Mark's hand reaching over to rest on my little brother's and Mark sighed, "I promise it will be OK. If you tell them... it will be OK."

"You really think so?" my brother asked, not moving from where he was resting. 

Mark just nodded, replying, "Yeah. I really do."

As much as I wanted to eavesdrop a little more, I knew that Cody wouldn't take kindly to me snooping on him. Even if I was his favorite sister. With Mark there it would make things awkward for my brother. But I was going to have to mentally note to check in with him tomorrow. 

I decided to head back around the house, taking the long way to the road leading towards the forest. I was able to keep out of sight and looked over my shoulder for any sign of my brother spotting me. He hadn't which was great.

I reached the forest clearing right on time. My arms crossed, shoulders rising as I tucked my hair behind my ear. I looked around, eyebrows furrowed while I took in the fog blanketing the ground. Miles and miles of fog thickness spread through the pack and it would have spooked me had I not been used to it.