Chapter 22

We are both laying  on the couch. Jame's arms are making a barrier around me.  We both  lay there in utter silence. I know we are both thinking the same thing. What's going to happen to us if somebody really did follow me?

"What are we going to do?" I whisper.

"I don't know? We could try to run but I think it's already to late." James whispers

" This can't be the end! I can't lose you! Not after this!" I say while a tear  escapes my eyes and rolls down my cheek.

When James notices he quickly rushes to wipe it away,"we don't even know if someone is out there or not. " 

As if on cue there was  police sirens started  going off which made me jump. I shut my eyes tight before speaking again, "this is it! We are done! I am going to have to go back to living a lie"

You can hear the sirens getting closer and closer. "Don't think about that Alice. I can't tell you everything is going to be fine, but I can tell you that I will get you out of this ! He whispers. He holds me hands even tighter then kisses my head before speaking again," I will protect you. You know that right?" 

"Yes, but what about you? "

He didnt answer. The only sound was the sirens getting closer and closer. I was holding on to his hand so tight that my hand started to go numb. I couldn't even imagine what he was feeling right now. He literally just got me back, well my mind anyways.

This can't be happening. Shouldn't they already be here by now?  What felt like hours turned out to be a couple seconds.

Then, instead of stopping and having police officers come rushing to break down my door, the sirens passed the house. That finally makes me open my eyes. James has his eyes open, he wraps his arms around me even tighter than before. 

Nobody says anything. Just the scent of the rose still in my hair amazingly and the sound of our breathing fill the room.

"We're fine," James says under his breath. He plays with a stand of my brown hair.  I repeat what he said over and over again in my head. We're fine. This causes my whole body to finally relax. I let out a sigh and start to play with his fingers. .

"We should stay here for a couple of minuets to make sure no one is around". He whispers.

I shake my head in agreement.

I don't know how long we were sitting there but it wasn't long enough. Soon  we started to hear footsteps coming towards us.  Once again my whole body tensed up.  James stopped  playing with my hair and put his arm over top of me, preparing me for the worst things that could come. I shut my eyes once again not knowing what to expect.

The room was quite for a couple minutes. The thought actually crossed my mind that it could have been my imagination, but then I remembered that he heard them to.

I was just about to open my eyes when a familiar voice scared me and shut them tighter,"why are you here?!"

I can feel James tighten his arm around me but not saying a word. I open my eyes slowly to find Layla, my maid, closing her eyes tight and holding up a fire poker about ready to swing it.

"Answer me! " Layla says with a tone in her voice that risky l truly scared me.

"Layla its me, Alice," I say softly.

She slowly opens one eye then the next before speaking,"Alice?"

James moves his arms off of me cautiously and letting me sit up. "Yeah it's me Layla. Why don't you just put the fire poker down. " I motion towards the ground.