Chapter 2

I walk with Courtney down are grand staircase. " I wish we had an elevator," I say."I just got a new life. I'm too lazy to walk down stairs."

Courtney keeps looking forward.

I think she is scared that are parents will be down there because her hands are shaking wildly. I guess it is best if we just stay silent. 

As we get to the bottom of the staircase I take one more deep breath. I'm ok, I tell myself. Everything is going to be fine. I did all of my things that I need to do. I took all creativity out of my life. Just like they want. Just then I see Erick sitting at the table.

I walk over to the table were he is sitting.He is working on something. He has papers all over. I pull out a chair and sit there just staring at him. He has black hair that's slicked back and he has a little stubble on his face.He has brown eyes. Like Courtney's and mines. He clears his throat, and waking me from my thoughts.

"Yes," he says,"can I help you?"

I smile ,"Are you working on your secret job application that you won't tell me about?"

New puts his hands up to his heart,"You know me so well," he says. He  then folds his arms and smiles at us."Happy birthday guys."Erick says.

He motions Courtney to sit. He looks over his shoulders than leans forward.

"I got you guys something," he says

Courtney and I look at each-other before we come to the realization that he didn't mean to sound so much like a freaking weirdo.

"Erick," I start " um don't take this the wrong way but."

Courtney cuts me off,"you sound like you are trying to get us to come in your van."

He stairs at Courtney,"You know what, no presents for you."

Courtney puts on a pouty face and started to bat her eyes. "pretty please," she says as she batts her eyes.

I sit there silently.  This happens every year, literally every year! They keepgoing at it before Erick sighs, then he pulls two boxes out of his pocket. He looks over his shoulders once again. He hands Courtney a blue box and me a red one.

start to open it. Inside there is a neckless. It was a red star. With blue outlining it. I looked over at Courtney and has a blue moon outlined with red.we both look at each other.

"Thank you Erick," I say.

"He shrugs,"it's what I do."

I laugh,"I have never heard you say that before in my life."

"I heard it from a friend"he says

I look around the room. Somethings different. Then I notice it. Something that's out of order on a day like this. That's like finding a diamond in a ruff, a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end,or a needle in a haystack! It's extremely rare!!! I could tell that my face looked shocked because Courtney and Erick just stared at me.

"Are you ok?," Courtney says.

"Erick," I start,"why is the curtains closed?"

I walk over to the curtains I hear Courtney and Erick say wait at the same time but I open it before they could stop me. Then I saw it. The boats.

The past hundred or so years we have had a problem with thieves killing people on the waters. Of coarse since people are judgmental and use labels on people they automatically called them pirates I guess that makes sense , but frankly I don't think *pirates* is the right word for them. I think that they are more like rebels. Did I mention I completely agree with what they are fighting for? They are fighting against the government for freedom. People are no longer free. They could get thrown into prison for just walking the streets and glancing at somebody the wrong way. The justice system is screwed up. That are even having people in the town square. In some cases they will cut off their heads and make the whole town watch.

I stomp over to them"Why didn't you guys tell me!"They just look at each other."Stop looking at each other," I say", tell me what's going on!"

It's a minute before one of them speaks up."Courtney and I thought it would just be best if you didn't know for now," Erick says.

I stare at him so hard that I could almost feel myself burning a hole into his skull.

"You tried to trick me?" I start," you do realize that I will just see them when I go to school!"

"We were just trying to protect you,"says Courtney.

"that's not your call!" I tell a little to loudly.

Just then Layla walks through the doorway. She has her long black hair in a braid that goes over her shoulder just like every day.She has a frown on her face. She Doesn't look sad she looks stressed out.

"Hey Layla,are you ok," I start,"you look a little overwhelmed."

She looks at me "I'm fine." She sounds so exhausted.

Layla doesn't need any more stress. She is 8 months pregnant and she is as big as a balloon! Ill keep what I know to my self, she really doesn't need anymore stress.

I see Layla's eyes drift to the curtain and she casually walks over to them and shuts them. I'm guessing she thought I wasn't watching.

So she does know. What's going on?!

She clears her throat," I'm so sorry to tell you this but something came up and your parents won't be able to make it."

it's not like that's shocking news. My father is one of the generals to help stop the *pirates*. He is one of the people who decides life from death...usually he picks death. They either end up getting there heads chopped off or they get hung in the town square for every one to see like I was talking about before. He says if they act like pirates they should be treated  like them. Most of the people agree but there is some that don't. This caused the town to split into two sides. kill them or let them be. So father has to deal with that so he is usually gone when the boats are in town.

Mother is the negotiator between different countries. Trying to make deals with them. Mostly to get money from rich cities and armies to fight back. Usually we end up going to war against them in the end. It doesn't help when we lose are allies. That's why she never comes home. 

"So Layla," I say," what about breakfast? We have been waiting for about twenty minutes!"

She sighs. "Unfortunately your parents gave the cooks off because they thought they were going to be home and they would make you something."

"So what are we supposed to do?" Courtney buts in.

"Ill go make you cereal," she says

Courtney and I both look at each other. Even Erick looked up from his job application or whatever it is. Layla isn't the best cook in the world. She tried to make us grilled cheese once and she ended up catching part of the house on fire!

"I'm good," I say,"I don't want to be late for school." I try to rush out the door as fast as I can but Erick grabs my arm and shakes his head. Damn. So close.

"Your right," Layla starts," you girls should get going before your late for collage."

As soon as she left Erick looked around the room again. He slipped a box into my hand.

"What is it," I whisper.

"Open it in the limo," he says," make sure you put it on. It's really important you remember."

Since when is Erick so intense? He is never this intense. He is more of the person who plays golf and sometimes rases his voice.

"Ok Erick," I say,"I'll remember."

I grab my purse and I slip the box into it. I go through my personal check list then I head out the door. Not knowing that this day will change my life forever.

I know....suspense!! I'll try to post soon. :) . Till then thank you for reading my first book. Please comment and vote......bye for now. ♡♡♡