Chapter 6: Our Only Hope

(Dylan's POV)

Two days passed and I had been wandering through the house for majority of that time. I walked into the kitchen, my stomach still growling.

I had just eaten, but I was still hungry. I should tell Kana about it. Maybe they can help me out. Every chance I've gotten, I have been keeping up with the officers that were caught in the explosion.

It was caused by a Meta-Human. Some kind of technopath cause the car to drive on its own. The bomb was planted before the car chase.

Today it was time to go back to the Lab for more tests. Evan apparently had something sweet to show me.

We wandered into the Cortex and I was met with Kana. "Hey, Dylan... Evan in there"

She pointed to an open door. I nodded and.walked through the door. I saw Evan calibrating some sort of treadmill. "Uh... What is That?"

Evan looked at me with a nerdy grin. "This is the latest model of treadmill. This baby can handle speeds from 0-3000km/h. I call it... The Cosmic Treadmill..."

"Are you sure it can handle me?"

He playfully scoffed, "Can she handle You? My baby can handle anything" he then walked out of the room and into another, where there was glass separating us. "I need to you run, we will test your vitals and other levels"

My Uncle walked behind the glass. Kana and Evan took a seat. I stepped onto the treadmill, pressed the button and started with a slow jog.

"Okay... Speed it up!" I tapped into my Speed, the energizing feeling coursing through me. My body sped up, my legs rapidly stepping and arms rapidly swaying.

The machine was handling me quite well, I kept running. "That is..."

"Impossible?" My Uncle interrupted, his voice coming through the P.A system in the room. "How much did the lightning bolt change him?" I heard John ask.

Kana sighed, "We don't know how much. We know that his body can reach significant speeds, his brain has accelerated. But, not much more"

I continued running, my speed peaking at 725.8km/h. That wasn't enough, I could go faster. My speed ramped up, I accelerated and I felt even better. "Woah... Dylan... Keep doing that"

My eyes looked at the monitor that had my current speed labeled.

859.4km/h

"Is that electricity?" I heard Evan ask. "Yeah... Some sort of static energy?"

"No... Look at the readings"

"That is pure dark matter..."

"Dylan... You can stop now" My speed gradually came to a stop, my body started to move at a normal pace and then come to a stop. I looked at Kana, Evan and my Uncle.

"What?"

Kana took a breath, "There is so much more to your abilities than we thought" Kana explained.

We walked back into the cortex, the screen has some of the data on the monitor. "Top Speed 860km/h. Energy output... 5 billion joules"

My head snapped to Evan, my eyes widened with surprise. "That's the same power as a lightning bolt"

"Yeah... You're releasing that every few seconds"

"That's incredible..." I muttered.

My Uncle frowned at the ground, his eyes kept looking at the screen with the Dark Matter Surge Tracker. Or what we call the Meta-Finder.