Chapter 9: Not Qualified

I ran to the edge of the city, my body moving at my top speed. The wind rushed past my face, the lightning coursing through my veins.

The city raced past me, the cars shook as I flashed past them. The glass vibrated and cracked as I moved past them. Every step was the release of my frustrations.

Then my jacket caught fire. I halted my movement, I quickly ditched the jacket, throwing it on the pavement.

I silently cursed, my head looking to my right, seeing a sign.

'Hosu City: 220km'

I remembered the last time in Hosu, my body raced down the street, racing towards something I need.

Something I needed to see...

Something that changed my life for better or worse...

.....

I ran towards the city where my father and I used to live after my mother died. We needed a change, but even though I hated moving here originally, I still had a connection to this place.

My legs took a step forward, striding towards my destination. I raced through the familiar streets and all the way to a place I used to feel safe. My movements halted and I stood on the other side of the street. My gaze focused on a building that I knew all too well. I ran into the building, the loose objects were blown across the room.

The dark apartment was empty and without much livability. I walked through the small space, opening a door to a room. I was met with my Father's old study.

Why did I even run here?...

I sat in his old office chair, looking at the desk. There were still a lot of his old papers and notes. Along with his work.

My gaze shifted to an old photograph, I picked it up and blew the layer of building dust off of the surface.

The now clear surface revealed us...

Before Mom died...

It was a full family photo...

My mother and father standing in the middle, I was standing in between them. To my mother's left was Uncle John and my Father's sister stood there, while her husband took the picture.

A tear slipped from my eye, I took a shaky breath. "God... I miss you..."

There was another photo where Mr. Nagato was shaking my Father's hand, welcoming him to Haven Labs.

My phone started buzzing violently. I pulled it out and saw the notification. Then put the phone away while sighing. Wasn't in the mood for talking.

I flashed out of the building, running back to the place that I started. My body raced through the streets again, through alleyways, roads, buildings. Just running.

Everything felt so quiet...

The sound of the wind rushing by, the sound of approaching and distancing sound reaching my ears.

The Lightning that courses through me...

Power...

The rush...

There is nothing like it...

I eventually was back in the city, the sky had progressed further into the day. I ran back to the labs, racing through the cortex and out through the hallways.

I stopped using my speed when I heard whimpering, a small whisper with a hint of sadness.

My body walked to the door, it was Rien.