sixty-five ☆ you never lost me

MAY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

after rosaline stormed away from the bonfire, jonah followed her, "rose... wait up!"

the blonde ran inside the elevator, and repeatedly pushed the buttons with hopes that the door would close before jonah could catch up. a sigh of relief escaped from her mouth when the elevator doors were almost fully shut, however, jonah's arm intercepted and the doors reopened.

oh my gosh, rosaline thought, what could he want so bad from me?

"rose, i'm not just going to let you walk away like that," jonah declared, "let's talk."

"there's nothing to talk about, jonah," rosaline scoffed, "we broke up, and now the truth is out. everyone knows that i'm a narcissistic liar."

"you're not a narcissistic liar. maybe an exaggerating storyteller, but that's not exactly the same thing," jonah reassured, "can you just... uh, tell me why you stopped loving me?"

"what do you mean?" rosaline questioned.

"i-i want to know what i did wrong," jonah added, "then i can improve on that and work on myself as a person."

rosaline placed her hand on jonah's left shoulder, "jonah, you did nothing wrong. you were a great boyfriend, but i wasn't much of a great girlfriend. i think that after my dad left, i've started to get commitment issues. i'm just afraid that everyone i love is eventually going to leave me, and i guess that's kind of why i was so upset when elena moved schools. seriously, jonah, you did nothing wrong."

"oh, okay," jonah responded, "i don't know, it just kind of made me feel terrible that the girl i was so in love with just stopped feeling the same way."

the elevator doors opened to rosaline's floor, and they both stepped outside. rosaline and jonah headed to rosaline's room, and before departing, the brunet said, "i'm sorry, rose... for everything."

the blonde girl gave him a slight smile before heading into her hotel room, and jonah began to walk back to the elevator.

however, a tug on his arm startled him, and the boy was surprised to see rosaline behind him, "uh, aren't you going to be—"

jonah was cut off by rosaline's lips attaching to his, and the two were so lost in this kiss that they landed themselves back inside the elevator.

-

once the bonfire was over, those in the love pentagon had made their way back to the resort to talk things over. everyone was in a state of confusion because of all the lies, half-truth's, and secrets.

june pressed the button for the elevators to open, and everyone's eyes widened and jaws dropped when the doors opened and they all saw rosaline and jonah making out in the elevator.

"holy shit," jack mumbled.

the ex-couple jumped at the sight of their friends watching them, and jonah immediately pushed the button that closed the elevator doors.

"i guess we're taking the stairs," corbyn mentioned.

the five headed inside the hotel room of the oakland group, and corbyn and june sat on one of the beds while presley, jack, and daniel sat on the other.

"explain everything," presley declared.

corbyn sighed, "june and i have been fake dating since november. after you and jack went official, we hatched this revenge plan so we could have you guys back for... ourselves."

"wait... so the plan wasn't just for me? it was for jack too?" presley questioned, earning a nod from corbyn and june.

"huh? june told me back in december that it was just for corbyn to get presley back," jack pointed out.

"that was only half of the truth," june corrected, "the rest of the truth is that... i had a crush on you, jack. that's why i kissed you."

"this is so hard to grasp," daniel admitted, "like, i've been so torn with my feelings for the past few months and it turns out that corbyn and june weren't even truly dating."

"i'm sorry, bro," corbyn apologized, "i seriously didn't know you liked june. if i did, i never would've suggested the plan to her."

daniel slightly smiled, "it's all good, corbyn."

jack clapped his hands, "well, now that everything's been cleared up, are we good?"

june nodded, "yup, that's everything. i'm really sorry, everyone... that we did that. it was a pretty dumb thing to do, but corbyn and i were just jealous at that moment."

jack and june headed out of the hotel room, and daniel said, "uh, i think i'm going to let you guys talk. i'll probably follow june and jack."

"alright, see you later, bro," corbyn replied, watching daniel leave the hotel room.

corbyn and presley sat in silence. they never formally addressed the period of time in which they stopped being best friends, but now it seemed like they now had to.

"is it just me, but have things been really weird between us ever since homecoming?" presley asked.

corbyn nodded, "we never really talked about it."

"i just don't get it," presley started, "corbyn, we've been best friends since we were in diapers."

"well... you kind of ditched me on homecoming night, pres," corbyn pointed out.

presley tilted her head, "huh?"

"we always go to every dance together, but at homecoming, you spent all of your time with jack," corbyn explained.

"shoot, i never realized. i'm really sorry," presley apologized, "i'm a terrible friend."

"if i've stuck with you for eighteen years... that means you're definitely not a terrible friend," corbyn laughed, "you know, pres, that period of time when we didn't really talk was pretty depressing."

"i really missed you, corbyn," presley admitted, "i guess that's another reason why i was so scared to lose jack. him and i were drifting apart... just like how you and me did. it was kind of scary knowing that i'd end up losing another person i cared about."

"you never lost me, presley," corbyn mentioned, "and you never will."

...