Chapter 8~Clawed Fingers

Start from the beginning

   Slowly, I moved closer trying to hear her words and when I was close enough, I still couldn't make out anything. From the sound of it, she wasn't speaking any language I knew and most of it sounded gibberish and disoriented, mixed in with alot of growling.

   She seemed untamed and salvage as I could smell the thick sweat of burnt Rosemary coming from her pores. It was a different scent that our pack and I carried of burnt wood and Rosemary.

   "Mckayla..." I whispered. Like last night, still no answer and I opted myself into using her other known name. "Kayla." She twisted my way before her whole body caught up.

   Her eyes were a vibrant gold as her face creased with deadly intent. She saw my fear and her expression changed dramatically. "I'm sorry," she whispered apologetically.

   "I...Mckayla...please tell me what's going on." I was absolutely shaken from her unexplained behavior.

    Mckayla shook her head denying me of knowing what was wrong. Her face looked constricted with worry and that wasn't a look she wore often. "Nina...I can't."

   I frowned. "Yes you can...and you will." Her eyes turned to me angrily. "You will tell me because..." I was tired and lost some of my pack. I needed now more than ever for Mckayla to open up to me. I knew I was fed up and angry.
   Frustration caused a headache to form and I wasn't letting her get off that easily."You will tell me," my voice rose with every word on high emotion, "because I'm your mate rather you've fucking gave me a mating bite or not. I'm tired and I want a full answer NOW Mckayla." My chest heaved as I felt tightness in the muscles around my neck. "Not tomorrow...not when you think I should know, and definitely not when its knocking on my fucking door and you can't hide it any longer."

   Mckayla mouth was partly agape, never expecting me to yell at her with this extreme intensity. She sighed, nodding her head as she knew the seriousness of my anger. Her hands balled into fist, as she squeezed them tight before releasing the pressure. "I--when I confronted Rogue and her father. Everything happened so..." Mckayla seemed to become lost in her thoughts, like she couldn't believe whatever had transpired. She spoke softly, pressing her middle and index finger over her forehead. "Everything happened so fast..."

   My whole posture and expression changed to a nurturing element as I saw the struggle Mckayla had built up within her. I motioned closer to her, never touching her. She still felt closed off and tense to be touched. I hated that I couldn't be a mate to her like normal Weres, but I loved her and never would regret our relationship. I needed her to know that I would never abandon her or break her trust again. "You don't have to be afraid to tell me anything. I'm not going anywhere."

   Mckayla had to see truthfulness in my words. I couldn't take it much longer, her not believing me. "Sal...he injected me with something. I don't know what it is, but after...I can't explain it but I felt...almost a 'high'...sensation. Shortly after, I'm still not sure...but it did something to my wolf."

   I took in a long inhale, nodding. "You feel like its worn off?" Drugs didn't effect werewolves, so hearing that she felt anything from whatever Sal gave her was a problem. Whatever new form of drugs Sal concocted had to be destroyed. Though, beside Mckayla's hot temper and bizarre behavior it didn't seem the drug affected her that much.

   "I can feel my wolf pacing inside me...like before."

   I frowned dubious. "Like before what?"

   "Before I ever laid eyes on you back at Jace's house." Mckayla skewed her face as if bothered by that. "I was always angry and living in my wolf's head. I couldn't think human...or feel human."