Take My Hand Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

            That night as Jocelyn was finishing her shift at the diner, she checked her phone to find that Nora had texted her to let her know that she had been staying at her boyfriend’s house and that’s why she hadn’t picked her up last night. Lovely. Oh, and to add to the list of offenses, she wouldn’t be picking her up tonight either. She was still in Atlanta with her boyfriend Cameron, spending a few days with him and his family even though she had classes. Great, I get to walk home again at two in the morning, Jo thought to herself. And I will NOT be picking up any more injured men!

            She clocked out in the back and grabbed her jacket, wrapping it tightly around herself. “See you later, Stevie!” Jo shouted as she headed through the kitchen to the back door.

            “Hey, Jo! You walking home?” Stevie, the owner of the little diner, called, coming out of the cooler.

            “Yeah, Nora is out with Cameron again.”

            “If you want to wait until my shift is over when Marty takes over I could drive you home. I hate you having to walk home by yourself with it so late. It’s not safe for a girl your age in a city like this,” Stevie remarked, concern written across his face. He had become like a father figure to Jo. He was in his late seventies, and this diner was his pride and joy. Jo adored him, and he had always treated her with the utmost respect. He looked at her like his own daughter as well.

            “No, it’s only a couple blocks. I’ll be fine. Promise,” Jo replied.

            “I don’t like it. You need a more reliable friend, Jocelyn.”

            “That’s why I have you, Stevie,” Jo said, smiling affectionately. “I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

            “Okay. You call me if you need me.”

            “Will do,” Jo called as she headed out the back into the alley. She pulled her jacket close, tucking in her hair and pulling her hood up to shield out the cold November winds. She shivered and pushed her hands deep into her jacket pockets and hurriedly walked along the side of the building, hoping to shield herself from the wind.

            She had almost made it home when she heard the sound of footsteps behind her. She didn’t think much of it since there were a few clubs and bars nearby and she figured it was a late night patron of one of those quaint establishments. When the footsteps sounded like they were getting closer, she risked a glance behind her. There was a man dressed in all black, long blonde hair tied into a pony tail at his nape, walking rather determinedly with his eyes focused on her. Oh God, please, no, Jocelyn prayed. She tried to take longer, quicker strides, not wanting to alert him and have him full out chase her. She knew she couldn’t outrun him. Her only chance was to get around the corner and cut through the alley to the front of the club at the end of the street in the hope that there would be some other people to dissuade the man from attacking her.

            Just as she neared the corner another man stepped from around the edge of the building. Her heart soared in relief.

            Until the street light glinted off of the blade the man held in his hand.

            Jo stopped dead, turning to see that the other man had closed the distance between them. She was trapped. She had nowhere to run. Her heart raced, blood pounding in her ears, her throat went dry, and tears began to slide silently down her cheeks.

            Carson awoke that night just as the sun drifted down past the horizon. He stood and took stock of his body. All of the wounds he had sustained in the fight were perfectly healed without a mark. Carson shook his head, shaking off the last of the chase last night. It had been fun to chase the two that had run, but it had not been much of a challenge. Disappointing really. Nonetheless, he had caught them and killed them easily, taking their bodies back to the alley with the others. He had just finished draining the bodies and disposing of them when Jocelyn had found him. He wouldn’t need to hunt again for at least two weeks, maybe more. He might enjoy a good fight in the meantime, however.