Take My Hand Chapter 2

Chapter 2

            Jocelyn stared at Carson. Okay, Lovely. I've picked up a delusional psychopath, she thought.

            "You're kidding, right?" she said, hoping this was just his idea of a joke.

            "No, I'm not, Jocelyn," he replied softly, grinning in mild amusement. He had never told anyone what he was before, but her reaction was not entirely what he expected.

            "And just what do you think you are?" she asked, sarcasm dripping from her voice. She wasn't sure yet whether to be afraid that he was going to lose it and attack her, or whether he was just having fun messing with her mind.

            "I am a vampire, little innocent."

            Okay, yep. He's crazy. Now how exactly do you get a delusional man out of your house without tripping some kind of crazy trigger? Who knows what he's capable of?

            "You don't believe me, do you?" he asked, grinning.

            "Uhm, no, not really," she replied.

            "What if I showed you?" he asked.

            Jocelyn stared at him in apprehension, not exactly sure how to reply. Carson stood up, closing the door with his mind. Startled, Jocelyn jumped.

            "How'd you do that?" she squealed.

            "Vampires are telekinetic. Believe me now?"

            Jocelyn didn't reply at first. She just stared at him like he had lost his mind. Maybe she had lost hers.

            "I don't want to scare you, Jocelyn. I've never told anyone else. I don't like what I am. I don't go around killing innocent people and drinking their blood; that's not who I am."

            "I don't believe you," she whispered, backing into the wall, wrapping her arms around herself.

            Carson took a deep breath and let her scent feel his nose, wrapping around his mind and taking over his logic and his humanity. He could feel the change taking over his body: his dermaglyphs pulsed in his skin; his fangs extended; his pupils dilated to fill his entire eye, turning it black. He opened his eyes slowly, allowing Jocelyn to take in the change. Her eyes widened. She sucked in a breath. And screamed.

            Carson grabbed her just as her world went black.

            When Jocelyn opened her eyes, she was lying in Carson's arms. He held her tightly and stroked her face gently, brushing her hair out of her face. She couldn't remember how she had ended up on the floor, but she couldn't say she minded very much as she was able to take in how very handsome Carson was, even with the many bruises and scrapes on his face and the blood still on his body and in his hair. He had deep tanned skin, sculpted muscles, and hair black as night. He had to be at least six feet six inches tall, more than a foot taller than her petite frame. His eyes were a blue so light that they almost looked silver. His lips were so full that a woman would be jealous, and looked as though they would be soft and sensual to the point of being sinful if not for being busted along the bottom. Who am I kidding, he's still sexy as hell, she thought to herself. His hair fell over his forehead, ending just at his perfect slanting eyebrows. His eyelashes were dark and curling, the shadow of them falling on his cheeks as he looked down at her.

            "I'm sorry I scared you," he whispered, sincerity written over his entire face. "I just had to make you understand, make you believe me. I promise I would never hurt you."