S 03

It was the end of the day and the moment the bell rang, Shouyou was quick to walk towards you, grab you by the wrist, and drag you to the gym his club trained in.

"Daichi-san! This is my friend! He said he wants to try volleyball!" Shouyou exclaimed the moment you two stepped inside the gym.

"Is that so? After two weeks, only now?" Daichi asked, approaching you and Shouyou. While there was no time limit in joining clubs, it definitely wasn't usual to wait this long.

"Yes! I'm [Last Name] Shin," You said, bowing at the captain. "I'm a new student!"

"I see. Sawamura Daichi," the captain said. "So [Last Name], what position do you play?"

"I've never played volleyball," You replied.

"Huh?" The captain looked at you with a confused face. "Not even once?"

Ryunosuke, who happened to hear the conversation, joined in with a loud 'HUH?'

"You wanna join but you've never played volleyball before?!" he asked.

You looked down and fiddled with your fingers— all part of an act, of course.

"I... I just want to start trying it," You said with a shy voice.

"There's nothing wrong with that, right?" Koushi said, placing a hand on your shoulder.

Daichi relaxed and smiled at the silver-haired setter before looking back at you and smiling as well.

"Well, if he's determined, then why not?" he said.

After hearing those words, Shouyou jumped with his hands stretched.

"Yay! [Last Name] gets to join," the orange-haired boy exclaimed.

You smiled at the boy but inside you wondered whether or not he wanted to keep you close because he was keeping an eye on you as well.

"But!" Koushi said. "We need to know what position he'll play first."

"I read up a bit about it before but I've never really played it," You said.

It was true. You already knew that Shouyou was part of the volleyball club and because it was part of the plan to join the club as well, you did some research on the sport. But still, research wasn't enough to be prepared for a sport. You lacked experience.

"Well, do you have a position you think you would do well in?" Daichi asked.

"Not really," You admitted. Turning your head to the side, you faced Shouyou and asked him a question. "Hinata, what do you play?"

"I play as middle blocker! But I also get to spike. It's the best thing ever!" Shouyou said with a smile.

"Blocker? Really? With that height?" You asked.

Although it did sound that you were doubting him, the orange-haired didn't take it to heart. Instead, he just jumped during his reply to you.

"I can jump! Really high!"

Your eyes widened a little as you saw his jump. He wasn't lying at all.

"I can't," You said, "I guess that's off the list for now."

"How about as a setter? Although we already have Kageyama as well, it wouldn't hurt to add one more," Koushi said.

"I really don't know," You said, scratching your cheek.

Sure, you were just doing it for the mission but you weren't going to half-ass your performance. In fact, the better your perfomance, the better you blend in with the team.