34 | JANET

I wasn't quite sure about these new people, that was for sure.

As I held Bree's hand, and with Riley's arm wrapped protectively around my waist, I felt the need to keep both of them as close as possible, just in case anything did happen.

Lost in thought, I felt the gaze of my mate as he looked down on me, and I met his gaze, letting him see the worry that was no doubt etched across my face.

His arm tightened around my waist, pulling me further into him, as we continued to walk down the bark pathway, leading further into the woods.

I wasn't sure where we were going; we could've been walking to our deaths for all I knew.

The Cullens had been gracious thus far, even lending us a room together, eventhough we had said we didn't need it,

It was a sense of privacy that I hadn't had with Victoria's gang, and for that I was immensely grateful.

However, even I knew that we couldn't live with them forever. It was unfair of us to have intruded in their lives in the first place, permanently staying would be ever worse.

"Here it is," Carlisle spoke, an arm wrapped around Esme's waist, as they waited for our reactions.

A beautiful two storey house stood in front of us, a white picket fence surrounding it, painted in an earthy brown colour, that almost camoflaugued to the trees.

My hands flew to my mouth, and covered it in surprise, before I looked to Esme and Carlisle who were smiling as always.

Finally a place where we could stay, and not be tempted to drink the blood of humans every five seconds.

"So you like it then?" Esme asked, but I cut her off in excitement.

"Like it! I love it!"

With my reaction, Riley smiled, and brung me closer, hugging me.

Bree, still a child and wanting some attention, ducked her head under our arms that were around each other, and popped up in the middle of the hug.

We had only known each other for a bit, but to us it felt like eternity. We had claimed Bree as our adoptive child, fully aware that as a vampire and that she was missing, she couldn't go back to her parents. Perhaps it was better off to let hem believe that she was dead, because technically, she was.

I thanked both of the Cullens profusely, before stepping back, as Riley went to grasp Carlisle's hand, and Bree hugged Esme's middle.

"Well how about we let you get settled in? I'm sure you'd like to look at the rooms?"