21 | JANET

Peering through the branches of the tree I was perched upon, I watched as Riley and Victoria approached my best friend, the male Cullen, and the human, that we, the army had been forced to kill.

The male Cullen was just how I expected him to be. Amber eyes from having ate animals, deathly pale skin, and an annoying attitude, that made me want to both punch him for being an ass, and hug him for keeping Melania safe.

He, being mates with the human was the sole reason why the army was made, to tear these two apart.

When he pushed her behind him, for protection purposes, I couldn't help but feel jealous at the fact that they had had the chance to love, and to trust each other undoubtedly.

That trust was something that was rare for me, and for the first time, I had found something, someone to believe in, to trust, to love. And that was Riley.

***

I could tell it was her, the human we were after, from her scent. It was the same scent that was on the red clothing that had been passed around, before we had set off, one that made my throat burn, a result of having not drank enough blood.

I dismissed any thought of hunger, and looked to the girl I knew to be my best friend.

We hadn't seen each other for a while, me being a vampire and all, and eventhough I knew I had an unusual aspect of self-control, I knew I couldn't risk it.

She didn't look any better than the last time I saw her, her eyes were bloodshot, and had dark bags under them. She looked as though she hadn't slept at all recently, and if she had done, it was very little.

I frowned at the thought. I knew something was up, but I didn't know what.

***

The male Cullen, I learnt, was named Edward, of which I only found out from the way Melania hissed as him to do something, as Victoria and Riley edged ever so closer.

Edward pleaded with Riley to see the truth, but I knew it was an act, and so did Riley. Riley had wanted to destroy Victoria from the night he met her, and Edward would be able to help him do that.

She was using him, that I could see, but he knew her game, and what she was up to, and had been playing along from the moment he had found out.

But even still, them being together, side by side, made my heart clench, eventhough it died as soon as I did.