14 | JANET

I returned as quickly as I could, making sure that nobody even knew that I was gone.

With this newfound vampire speed and agility, I had learnt to be sneaky, not so letting my feet properly touch the floor, so that no-one could hear me running.

I went straight to Bree, wanting to know if she was safe, and if any harm came to her, while I was away.

As soon as I saw Riley I panicked.

I didn't know what to say, or what to do.

I didn't want it to be awkward between us, but I also knew that whatever we did, we had to do it carefully.

After all, we didn't want the redhead getting mad now, did we?

As Riley stepped forward, I stepped backwards, itching to know if Bree was alright, not caring about anything else in this moment in time.

I ran past him, and met Bree in the archway, as she wrapped her arms around me, in a hug, and held me close.

Riley came in, and watched as we hugged, smiling to himself.

I placed myself in front of Bree, protecting her from him, just in case he made a threatening move towards her.

I knew his actions were controlled, but one cannot be too sure.

Seeing this, he stopped, putting his hands in the air, in what I can only assume was a comforting gesture.

It was then, that I actually had a look at him.

I drank in his attractiveness, and if I was human I would've blushed, not quite believing my own thoughts.

"Sorry." He said, "I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. Why are you here?"

He looked shocked, as if a girl hadn't cut him off before.

"I was just checking up on you. I see you still haven't drank from anyone yet."

I looked down.

Inside I could feel my body weakening, but still I did not want to drink.

Ethical reasons of course.

I would technically be committing murder, and I didn't want to be burdened with that sort of guilt.

He and I both knew that if I didn't drink I'd die, but my stupid stubbornness made that difficult.

He sighed, and taking my hand in his, guided me to where a woman was laid, half dead, and bleeding out from the neck.

"I knew you would be resilient, my love. I just didn't expect it to be this much."

He stood behind me, so close that I could feel his breath on my neck.

I looked at the body, and then up at him, and panicked.

"I- I- I can't."

"You have to." He whispered in my ear. "I don't want you to die, by starving yourself."

He traced the side of my face with his finger, and I shivered at his touch.

"Please." He pleaded, "Do this for me."