9 | JANET

Like how a storm makes the sea toss it's waves, my thoughts raged on inside my head.

I could still feel the pain I had felt when the redhead had bit me, and the flashback didn't make it any easier.

"He-Hello." A tiny voice spoke, cracking with nervousness.

My head snapped to the right, where a girl, around 15 or 16 years of age crouched, clearly anxious to how I would react.

I smiled gently, and beckoned her over to me.

"Hello." I said gently, trying to not scare her. "What is your name?"

Visibly relaxing, she moved over to sit next to me, both of us shrouded by darkness, watching as the rest of the 'army' completely wrecked the place.

She looked up to me, and I could see a little hint of a smile cross her lips.

"My name's Bree."

***

From the outset, Bree looked rugged, her hair tangled, and her eyes bright red, eventhough, I could tell that she hadn't drank from anyone yet.

She was small, and compared to the rest of the 'army', she was the weakest, the youngest.

I learned from her, that she had been created a few days ago, and like me, the man, Riley, had been the one to find us.

***

It was a week after my turning, when Bree drank for the first time.

She was slowly deteriorating, and Riley wouldn't let her go without for any longer.

He said that he didn't care, and that he wanted to have the strongest army, but deep down I knew he took pity on Bree, finding her to be like a daughter to him.

"Janet. Are you alright?" Bree called to me. We were on a first name basis, because I knew that I could trust her, and so we talked, a lot.

I nodded, and stood, wrapping some cloth around both her and my hands, and preparing for training.

I didn't know a lot, just what I had learnt from the mixed martial arts classes I had when I was a kid. I thought that perhaps, eventhough we won't fight, we'll still have to protect ourselves, just in case.

***

I started without warning, I used my right hand to punch in the space where her head was, had she not jumped away at the last second.

"You need to be ready for anything."

She punched back, to my face, and to my stomach, but that wasn't the end. I did a side kick, and she flew back.

"The army are going to be faster than you."

She sped towards me with aggravation, but I tripped her up, by sticking my leg out.

She stood up, and uppercutted me with her left fist, but I blocked it, and sent a punch to her stomach.

"Stronger than you."

She ran around me, and I looked around, trying to find out where she wound end up. She used her arms to grab around my waist, but grabbing her hands, I made a small gap, between me and her arms. I stepped out from the position, ducking my head under her arms, while still holding onto her hands.

I pulled of her hands from the grip, and pulled it behind her back.

I then forced her to the ground, with her arm pinned behind her.

"And they will not back down."

***

Clapping was heard form behind us. I released Bree from the grip, and helped her up to her feet. I patted her on the back, in praise, and whispered a little "good job" to her, to know that she was getting the jist if it.

The clapping got louder, as the figure stepped out from the darkness, Riley, from where he had been watching us.

"Impressive."

He said, smiling.

"You might have a slight chance of survival."