7 | JANET

My eyes flicked open and blinking, everything around me was in extraordinary high-definition.

I could see every speck of dust in the air, and every crack in the brickwork that surrounded me.

"Janet."

I scrambled to my feet, as I heard my voice being called. It was a voice that I didn't recognise, but one that brought fear to my heart, my heart that was now dead and cold, inside my chest.

"Janet." The voice called again.

As I looked up, a man stood, staring into my eyes, his hair was a dirty blonde, his eyes a petrifying red. He looked to the doorway, where another man, who was bulky came into view, dragging a woman along with him.

I knew what he wanted me to do, but I couldn't do it.
I just couldn't.

"What are you waiting for?"
The brunette questioned, looking at me with an eyebrow raised, "Why are you denying your true nature?"

I was defiant, if I do say so myself. It wasn't easy, but it was, after all, the right thing to do.

"Because we used to be like them once."

He looked at me unconvinced, and I stood, sighing, before closing my eyes and pinching the bridge of my nose. Oh my god.

"I can't imagine what it would be like, living with the guilt, of having to have killed another person for food."

Both men smirked at my discomfort and let me pass through the door, and outside, to where a group of people, with unusual red eyes surrounded me.

I wondered whether my mine were like there's, crimson, and whether each of them also had the same lust for blood.

The dirty-blonde haired man that I saw earlier moved to the front of the group, and turned to face us.

It was then that he spoke, with a power of authority, like he owned us.

I faintly remember a red-head, but as I looked around I saw no trace of her.

That was odd.

"My name is Riley, and that's what you should call me."

Riley singled me out, looking into my eyes, as he continued to speak.

"Your thoughts, they're dangerous, they will lead you away from us, so don't think, act."

He looked away, and referenced to all of us, as a collective.

"You were all created to be a soldier, to be part of an army, and to take down the threat."

Oh my, I was so not ready for that.

"In the meantime," he said quietly, looking in my direction. "Please try to survive. I'm going to need numbers."

***

Everyone disbanded, and again the 'army' turned into the same chaos that it was before.

I crouched in the darkest corner I could find, and sat there, my throat aching. I knew that if I wanted to survive, I would have to drink, but I just... couldn't.

My thoughts wandered over to that of the redhead, and then I remembered.