𝟎𝟑 | 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 for goodbye

encroaching /en-krōch/
𝑣. 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑑𝑒; 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑠𝑖𝑣𝑒

AS SOON AS she got out of her taxi cab for the second time that day, she walked over to the elevator of the hotel where mister Jones stood

AS SOON AS she got out of her taxi cab for the second time that day, she walked over to the elevator of the hotel where mister Jones stood. The second he saw Avelina, he smiled brightly at the young woman as she got into the elevator.

"Hi, Mr. Jones. Your children came home today, right?" She asked him. He was quick to realize that she was the only person in the building who would try to strike up a conversation with him. Everyone just treated him like the scum on the bottom of the Earth, but Avelina was different. She actually cared and remembered things like the day before when he told her that his two daughters would finally come home for college today.

"They haven't arrived yet. On my lunch break, I plan to go pick them up at the airport," he said, smiling. He was having a rough day when a woman handed him a quarter as if he were asking for change at a convenience store. Suddenly, Avelina showed up and made up for the horrendous woman.

"Really? Are you excited?" She exclaimed happily as he pressed on the button to get her to Miss Paola's room.

"Very excited. I've been waiting to see my girls for a year now," Mister Jones told her. She walked up to him and embraced him in a hug.

"I'm excited for you! That's amazing. Alexa and Dani sound like amazing people. They're very lucky to have you as a father," she told him just as the elevator doors dinged, alerting her that they made it to her floor. Avelina pulled away from the hug and gave him a pat on his shoulder before turning around and walking away.

"Thank you, Avelina. I didn't realize how much I needed to hear those words until now," he spoke to her retreating figure. She turned around for a moment just before the elevator doors closed with a thumbs up and a happy smile.

Her smile slowly replaced itself with a frown as she opened Miss Paola's door. The older woman was in the living room doing yoga. The second she saw Avelina, she rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the TV which broadcasted a yoga instructor.

"Good afternoon, Miss Paola," Avelina spoke before walking over to her refrigerator and checking to see if she had all of the groceries she needed. Avelina made sure to stock her food up two days ago, and was happy she still had enough food to last a week or two.

She then walked into her bedroom and made Miss Paola's bed followed by letting out a sigh. She was going to miss the elder woman. Her heart knew that she couldn't get too attached before the three months were up, but she had known Miss Paola for two months. No matter how hard she tried, she formed a connection with each person she took care of-especially Miss Paola. In a small way, she reminded her of her grandmother.

"What is wrong with you?" Miss Paola asked, walking past Avelina with her yoga mat in her hands. Avelina sighed sadly and sat down on the floor before patting the space beside her for Miss Paola to sit.