𝟐𝟑 | 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 for answers

Ponder /pawn-der/
v. to weigh in the mind; to think about; to reflect on

 to weigh in the mind; to think about; to reflect on

AVELINA HAD TO really think about his words. Johnathan couldn't have possibly known the exact number of guards surrounding her. It was possible that he only knew of the four that were seated two tables away from them.

"Fine," she said.

Getting up, she walked over to the table where the guards were. They gleamed at her questionably almost as if she were being stupid, but she knew exactly what she was doing. Johnathan thought he was smart, but Avelina made sure she would act smarter.

"Please, can you four leave us alone? I won't be needing you for the rest of the night. Thank you, and tell Mr. Zolotov that his services were greatly appreciated," she told them loud enough for Johnathan to hear.

They didn't say anything after that, they just stood up from the table and walked away. When she returned to her seat, Johnathan held a smirk on his face. He was an egotistical bastard. Avelina bet he got off on the override of power. She couldn't believe that he actually thought he had the upper hand when in reality, she did. He wasn't aware of the huge number of guards that were still tracking his every move.

"You got what you wanted. Give me what I want-information," she said. He leaned back in his seat just as the waiter came back with the lobster. The waiter placed the food right in the center of the table.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" He asked. Avelina quickly shook her head, her eyes narrowed at Johnathan.

The waiter waited for one more moment before walking away.

"I'm trying to figure out where to begin," Johnathan chuckled. His finger rested on his chin in ponder. He was still wearing that stupid smirk on his face.

"Actually, I think I may eat first," he spoke causing irritation to seep through Avelina.

"You know what? I'm done," she let out before angrily standing up. Johnathan only watched her as she began to walk away.

"You were three when you saw a masked man who put in a car and drove you off to your grandmother's house where you never seen or heard of him ever again," Johnathan spoke which managed to leave Avelina to stop right in the middle of her tracks. Her heartbeat exhilarated before she turned around to look at Johnathan.

"How do you know that?" She whispered.

"After that day, your grandmother spent every waking moment with you. She was helping someone protect you until she passed away. Police say the cause of her death was by suicide, but really the question is-Is that really true?" Johnathan questioned, leaving her to walk back over to the table and eye Johnathan curiously. She needed him to continue. She needed to know more.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Sit down," he smiled. She wanted to slap him and kick him. More importantly, she wanted to slap herself. Her eyes were on the chair before flashing back to him. As much as she wanted to walk out of there, she knew her heart would always regret missing the chance to know everything.