Chapter 24

This story will be ending soon. I'd say we have about five or six more chapters left until it ends.
______________________________________

        Gold had no idea what happened or even how it had happened. All he knew was that he had been just outside of Pallet Town with everyone else until he suddenly found himself in Goldenrod City's radio headquarters. It looked as if he was the only person there until he turned around. He nearly had a heart attack when he saw Crystal standing behind him with a blank stare.

        "Don't scare my like that Crystal!" he spoke as he calmed down. She said nothing in response doing nothing more than keeping her stare. "You're not really Crystal..." Gold realized. She narrowed her eyes at him with a frown. "How can you be so sure? Am I really on your mind that much?" Crystal said. Gold wasn't sure if he should answer her or not. The fact that he was even in his current situation meant that something was wrong. Crystal likely had something to do with it.

        "Well? Are you just going to stand there? You aren't leaving this place until you make a certain decision," she said as she walked over to one of the seating areas within the radio station. "So this is an illusion?" Gold questioned. He looked around at the replica of most popular radio tower in all of Johto. "That much is obvious. Now sit," Crystal spoke.

        Against his will, Gold was dragged to the seat next to Crystal by an invisible force. He was caught off guard but not surprised. If this was an illusion, that meant that Mewtwo was in control. "What do you want from me, Mewtwo? I'm not joining you and you can't have my body," Gold growled. He refused to fall for whatever tricks the psychic type pokémon had in mind.

        Crystal laughed at him. "Gold, you're thinking too much. Mewtwo really isn't doing anything other than placing you in your mind. I'm really me...or at least the way you see me," Crystal said with a smile. Part of Gold wanted to believe her, but he was also too guarded to even try to. "Don't play with me, Crystal. It isn't funny," he muttered.

        "This is one of your favorite places in Johto to be. I never did like to come here with you because you'd always talk about that radio station DJ that you adored. Well, that's at least what you think, right? You've never really asked me why I don't like coming here with you," Crystal said. There was no way she could have known this fact unless her words were true.

        "Quit talking. I don't want to think about that right now," Gold said. "But you are thinking about it. That's why I know. I know everything, Gold. I know what you fear. I know what you hate. I even know...who you love," Crystal said. She had leaned closer to him and put a hand to his cheek. Without much effort, she got Gold to look right at her.

        "This isn't fair. That's such a low tactic, you know," Gold spoke in slight defeat. "And what's so wrong with that? You'll be getting what you wanted. Don't tell me you still like (y/n)? Is that why you're having such a hard time giving in?" Crystal spoke. Gold pushed her hand away from his face. "It was a temporary thing. It only lasted a few days. I swear I'd never do that to Silver. He's been through enough as it is. They deserve each other," Gold said in his defense.

        "Then what's stopping you? Tell me, Gold. What's wrong? You know that I already know, so why don't you just say it? Go ahead and tell me," Crystal urged. She latched onto his arm and nuzzled against his shoulder. "You're not real. None of this is real. It's all fake," Gold muttered to himself with his eyes closed. Crystal had once been willing to show him such affections, but he had ended things between them because she would put him through more verbal abuse than he could handle at times.

        Eventually, she had apologized and they became friends again, but Gold was never able to just see her as a friend again. Now, this Crystal was making things difficult to handle. "I told you already, I am real. I'm right here, Gold," Crystal said in the most soothing voice he had ever heard her use. It broke him in an instant, and his tears began to become visible. "Now tell me. What is it that bothers you so much? What are your desires?"

        "I want to belong. I want to be recognized," Gold quietly said. Crystal brought her hand up to his face again. "But you are. What you're saying doesn't make sense," she spoke as she caressed his cheek. Gold shook his head at her. "No, not like he does. Silver found his happiness at the end of his despair. I'm still living in mine. I've alway gone after things that would give me some sort of self fulfilment, but nothing I've ever done has satisfied that. Silver achieved that long before he met (y/n)," Gold reasoned.

        "That's not true. You know that isn't true," Crystal denied. "I'm not wrong. I know what I'm talking about. Silver found his father, got friends, and for a while, he lived a life that he was okay with. He wanted nothing else. Then Team Rocket was taken out and he went off the radar just like he wanted to. When (y/n) was in danger, he protected her even if it took him a second try. It's frustrating, but I envy him for it," Gold said.

        Crystal hugged him. "Stop putting yourself down. Don't compare yourself to other people, especially Silver. He's his own person that has to deal with his own problems," she said. "That's easy for you to say. Silver's always had someone or something to mend his broken heart...but I've been stuck with mind ever since it's first been broken," Gold denied her without hesitation.

        "Then don't you think it's time someone ended your suffering?" Crystal spoke. "I have to help Silver first. I may envy him, but I won't abandon him anymore. We're friends again now. I have his back and he's got mine," Gold said although he made no effort in freeing himself of Crystal's hug. This was nothing more than an illusion, so he just had to endure it and reach Silver.

        "Unfortunately, you've failed answer with words that would free you. But at least now, you'll be happy for a short time," Crystal said. Gold didn't get the chance to ask what she meant by that. Instead, he was met by a kiss he never saw coming. For a moment, Gold did feel the happiness he was promised, but when Crystal pulled away from him and vanished, his sadness returned. A laugh sounded from nearly every direction belonging to no one other than Mewtwo. "Now I know what you desire."
______________________________________

I've been in a good writing mood lately. This was tad bit short than I thought it would be though (still above my minimun at least). Until next time you awesome readers!