Chapter 39

Zach

I rolled over to find Ren in a robe and taking a picture with Christian and Nika. Weird. She seemed to not want anything to do with either of them just last night. What made her change her mind? Not that I really want to know. Ren scared me more than her father scared me on a bad day. Which reminds me...I need to call her parents. Or have her call them.

Ren turned around and saw me awake. The smile on her face was the most genuine one I've seen from her. Nika saw me too and crawled over to me. I gave her kisses and chuckled as she tried to shimmy out of my hold. I don't even remember how long it's been since we adopted them, but I do love the fact that Nika isn't avoiding me like the plague.

"How long have you guys been up?" I asked.

"...Not long. I gave them a bath and I just finished showering." Ren put her phone down. "Do you want breakfast? Or lunch? The boys will be back any minute now."

"Any plans today? We haven't been out since we got here?"

"Yeah. I actually called Youngmin yesterday. He wants to meet with me. If all goes well, I want you to meet him."

"I don't know if I'll have time today." I sat up and put Nika to the side. "I forgot about the meeting we scheduled in the executive suite. Won't you come before you go with him?"

"Can't. Wish I could, but the only time he has to meet me is now. I don't want to take my chances."

"Well, don't just sit in a coffee shop all afternoon. Go with him to some tourist site or something. Make sure he knows everything that's been happening."

Ren stared at me as Christian wriggled in her arms. What?

"You know," she started. "I've never known any guy who allowed me to go out with another guy and not complain. You've never even met Youngmin. What if I lied about him being my cousin?"

"You can't lie, Ren. Why would you be so worried about a guy you've barely been in contact with if he wasn't your family?" I raised a brow.

"...It's possible. I'm quite sensitive."

I laughed and got out of bed. Nika clung to my leg and pouted when I tried to pry her off. What was up with her today? I could barely get close to her a couple of days ago. Did Ren tell her something? Or Byung-chul?

"While thinking of him, how's Byung-chul doing? He looked a little tired when he and Nathaniel came back."

"He spoke with me before he went to sleep. He was just frustrated about something."

"Something?"

"He wouldn't say. I guess it was something Nathaniel told him or what he saw."

Byung-chul and Ren left the moment I was out of the shower. Nika and Christian were left with me. At first I was hesitant to be left with Christian. He hadn't yet taken a liking to me. I was surprised when he just continued to stare at me for no apparent reason. No crying or whimpering. Just his silently staring.

Nika chose this moment to park herself in front of the TV. Lunch was on its way, so I had just a couple of minutes to myself before it arrived. When it did, I watched Nika eat and fed Christian. He fell asleep almost immediately after and that was good enough for me. Dominick came and brought a maid with him. He claimed to trust her with his life, so I was being courageous leaving her with the kids.

In the Executive suite, most of my men from the States were gathered. I hadn't seen most of them since leaving home, so it was awkward to just stare at them. We eventually talked about how we'd set up when we moved into the house before switching the conversation to Ian. Cory seemed to get quiet and his head hung low. I thought after hearing that his brother was alive he'd be excited to find him and be reunited with him.