Chapter 11

Zach

Pain exploded through my body as I tried to sit up. I was immediately pushed back down. I could have sworn I was in my bed last night. Was it Ren? No, it couldn't be. She would never be that rough with me.

"You move too much and you'll reopen three of your wounds," a voice warned. "Cory and Nathaniel had to drag you here. I'd say you need to cut back on your training, yes?"

I tried to laugh, but I wheezed instead. A searing pain cut across my torso. I could only guess I had really been hurt this time. That was very unlikely, but it could happen.

"Wh-where's Ren? Where's Dominick?" I demanded. I'd seen Ren when Cory and Nathan were taking me to the basement. I'd hated for her to see me like this, but I couldn't blame anyone. Dominick had probably tried to force her to go, but she had refused. She was like that. I wouldn't be surprised if she had threatened to kill herself.

"Your girlfriend is freaking out and cleaning the blood. Dominick is with Dean, getting updated on what happened," the doctor informed.

"Please advise him not to push him too much. Dean, I mean. He's in an unstable state."

"Yeah, I know. Cory is with them to ensure his safety. I had to stitch up a couple of his wounds."

"C-Cory or Dean?"

"Dean. Cory wouldn't let me touch him. I'll get him in a bit, though."

I tried to open my eyes. Darkness still swallowed me whole. I was scared. My heart threatened to jump out of my chest.

"Don't panic," he warned. "You just have blood in your eyes. I'll clean it for you. You'll get used to them in the morning. Maybe."

I heard movement to my left.

"You should tell her, you know? She seemed scared out of her mind for you. No amount of explaining could calm her down. She's seen you, so she'll want to know what her boyfriend really does for a living. I'd wonder, too. How you have so much money. Why you disappear for hours and come back hurt.

Why lock her in a room and never say why. Why you're so paranoid when out in public. How you never speak of your parents. And your most feared question, Zach. She'll want to know if you're ever going to hurt her. Both mentally and physically."

"I get it, doc. It's wrong to even keep her here when all of this is going on." I sighed softly.

"...I made a serum that would help with her understanding tonight. She most definitely would not want to forget this. I wouldn't either."

The doctor was right. I was putting Ren in more danger than I'd hoped. No one, but Ryder, knew she was my girlfriend. If I kept trying to protect her, she'd eventually get hurt. I'd go insane. But how would I keep her away without hurting her? I didn't like making her emotional.

"Want me to call her in here?"

"No--Yes."

Footsteps receded and I knew I was alone. I messed up. Nothing was going to save me from Ren's unstable mind. She wouldn't be able to handle what I was about to yell at her. She'd freak. I noticed a change in her a long time ago, but I don't know how bad it's gotten over the years.

I heard her before she even spoke. She was trying her hardest to be quiet. I trained for years for where I am today. If my eyesight was gone, I'd learn to use my ears and nose. The slightest movement and I could hear it all. There was no sneaking up on me.