Chapter 12

Dominick

My dyslexia was growing worse.

The letters jumbled up on the papers and jumped out at me. I blinked rapidly, trying to force them to be normal and to let me read. I rubbed my eyes and picked up the paper. What the heck was wrong with me today?

"You know what you did. You really think you're going to get away with it?" I chuckled and shook my head. "Now, you...you have nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. I'm going to make you suffer like I did."

"Dominick, y-you don't have to do th-this."

"I don't, but I'm going to anyway."

I shook my head and growled.

The man shook against the chains, baring his blood stained teeth. I shook with silent laughter, my face resting in a neutral position.

"What would your mother think?"

"My mother?" I pretended to think. "What she doesn't know won't kill her!"

Tears plopped onto the paper, smearing my carefully written words. I wiped my face angrily. Why was I thinking about that? I hadn't thought about his death in a long time. It made no sense how I was suddenly crying over this memory.

"Dominick, I beg of you. Don't do anything you regret!"

"Something I regret? My biggest regret is not doing anything in the first place."

"I'm a good person."

"Good people don't hurt other good people."

My head shook in pity. This guy really thought he was going to live. My light chuckles turned into full blown laughter. Then, I stopped and rolled my eyes.

"Some good people die."

The television was turned up loud for a moment. I was going to ask someone to turn it down until I heard the oddest thing.

"Mr. McAleer, what is the official definition of a psychopath and sociopath?"

"Please, call me Kelly. To be completely honest with you, there really aren't any true definitions. I feel as if it depends on how the person is classified. It can be with how much trouble they get into with the law or how they react in relationships."

"Ok. Then, how would you know if someone is a psychopath?"

"...The psychopath is a callous, yet charming person. He or she will con and manipulate other people with charisma and intimidation and can effectively mimic feelings to present as "normal" to society. The psychopath is organized in their criminal...thinking and behavior, and--and--and can maintain good emotional and physical control, displaying little to no emotional autonomic arousal, even under situations that most people would find...horrifying. The psychopath is keenly aware that what he or she is doing is wrong, but simply does not care."

"That's interesting. What about identifying a sociopath? How are they any different?"

"Conversely, the sociopath is less organized in his or her demeanor; he or she might be nervous, easily agitated, and quick to display anger. A sociopath is more likely to spontaneously act out in-in inappropriate ways without thinking through the consequences. Compared to the psychopath, the sociopath will not be able to move through society committing callous crimes as easily, as they can form attachments and have 'normal temperaments'..."

The silence killed me as I found myself listening to the doctor who thought he was a know-it-all.

"Is there a definition of sociopaths? What's the official one?"