Chapter 19

Zach

It's been a good while since Ren was discharged from the hospital. I haven't really heard any problems from her about Ryder or anything, so I'm not worried about him taking care of her. Ever since she was put into the hospital, Ryder has come clean about everything Devon told him. I had heard it from him before, but now that he was willingly telling everything, I just knew it had to be true.

Firstly, Ian was in fact not dead. I had a hunch that he wasn't before, but before Trixie was a traitor, she brought me legit evidence. I have yet to say anything more to Dominick and Nathaniel. I don't want them accidentally spilling everything to Cory and he tries killing me for it. How was he still so sensitive about his brother's "death" after so many years?

Today, I was in for a surprise. It was a completely normal day for me. I had just gotten back from the warehouse and took a shower to wash all the blood off of me. I was going to order some pizza and watch the news for anything I'd just done. Knowing the media, I wouldn't have to wait long. But, life has its ways to cut your plans short. Just when I'd got done ordering pizza, the doorbell rang. I hurried to turn off the television, worried about who was on the other side.

To my surprise, it was only Ren's father. I never knew how to address him. I'd heard from Ren that he hated being called Mr. Jung or when someone assumed they were better than him and used his first name. I didn't know what to do, so I just stood there with a stoic look on my face. Maybe he'd address me first and tell me what to call him.

"Annyeong, Zacharias," he greeted. I nodded. "...May I come in?"

I moved back, allowing him to come inside. I watched silently as he took off his shoes and looked around. What? Did he think I followed his tradition? You're right I do. I closed the door and pulled a pair of slippers with my foot. His lips pulled up slightly at the corners. First time I'd ever seen him try to smile.

"Is there a reason why you're here?" I asked. "I was just about to start some work."

"...I...need to speak to you and your gang about something important," he said slowly.

"That bad you had to come here?"

"Yes."

"Do you not know how dangerous this meeting is? Imagine if someone were to drive by right now and wonder how such an expensive car is in the driveway?"

"It's not mine."

"...What?" I scoffed. Ren's father was known for being a showoff. How could that not be his car in the driveway? "Whose is it then?"

"It's Ren's," he said. "I promised when she went to college and completed it, I'd buy her a car. I was going to take her myself today, but I needed to speak to you all today."

"Well...I have more than enough free time on our hands. Come into the living room. I'll have my bodyguard bring us something to drink. I have pizza on the way."

"I'm alright, I want to be quick about it."

I led him into the living room, checking to make sure there wasn't anything out of place. No telling what he really came here for. Ren's father took a seat in my chair, but I didn't say anything. I called for Dean, not really expecting him to answer me. He came into the living room a couple of minutes later, holding a gun and rag in his hand. Well, he must have been cleaning it. Sorry, bro.

"...Who's this?" he asked with a gleam in his eye.

"Ren's father," I deadpanned, stopping him from doing something stupid.

His smirk dropped and he dropped into a low, exaggerated bow. I shook my head, but praised him on his manners. I wasn't the one to follow such traditions, so I hadn't bothered with formalities. Ren's father stood again and bowed back to him. I pursed my lips and tried hard not to laugh. Did he not recognize sarcasm when it was right in front of his face?