Season 3, Part 7

"What the hell are you thinking Erwin!? Keep the citizens in the city without evacuating!?" One of the Garrison Elites yelled. "By the time it's dawn, the Titan will be all over us!" The guy was being overdramatic.

"That Titan is an abnormal." Hange tried to speak. "What the hell does that even mean!?" the Elite asked frantically. Hange opened her mouth, but I interrupted slamming my boot onto the table.

"Listen here buddy boy, stop pissing your pants and listen for a sec. Basically abnormal Titans are slightly less dumbass Titans that are more hellish to deal with. They'll ignore individuals and head towards large groups. What Erwin means is that if we evacuate the people, the Titan will change course towards the direct wall, which is what we don't want. That freakishly gargantuan Titan is heading towards the largest mass of people, which are the citizens here. Keep them here and the Titan doesn't change its course. Evacuate and that fucks up the plan. Got it? Or do I need to explain that again nice and slow for your pea brain to handle?"

It was rare I ever spoke like this, but I was super impatient and tired of dealing with idiots like this guy. I had to be harsh so they could understand.

The guy gulped and nodded. "Y-Yeah, I understand.." I looked around at everyone else in the room. "Do I need to explain it to anyone else? Chop chop we're wasting time here."

Everyone shook their heads, either casually, from fear, or with sheepish grins or smirks on their faces. "Good. Continue your plan Erwin." I nodded, taking my boot off the table and crossing my hands behind my back.

"That was the best thing ever." Connie whispered to me. I smirked. "I know."

Erwin coughed, before continuing. "If we are to stop that Titan, we must do so outside the walls of Orvud District. For that to happen, we must have the citizens act as bait. However, this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. Supposing we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures so that not a single citizen is killed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District, so that if needed, the citizens will be ready to evacuate at once."

The idiot finally understood. "It seems there's no other choice." He agreed.

"The body of our target is the largest we've seen. As such, it's presents an easy target. Wall-mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but... if that's not enough to bring it down..." Erwin looked at Eren. "The Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it." He concluded.

The sun came up, the troops and cannons mounted, Erwin, Levi, and my squad on the wall in the middle of it all. The evacuation drill was started, and the first round of cannonballs were then fired.

"Well? How's that?" asked Erwin curiously. We waited a few seconds, and a giant hand came crashing down out of the smoke. "Nope. Didn't do shit." I scowled.

Second round was fired, and still nothing happened. "The ground cannons seem even less effective." observed Erwin. "Of course they are." Levi replied. "The wall canons barely hit the nape, even with the better angle. What's the problem?" He inquired.

"It's the mishmash of soldiers... Cannons they scraped together... Superficial leadership... To top it off, this is a northern region. Unlike troops on the front lines, they have no battle experience. However, this is the best we're gonna get, and that's a fact." Erwin shrugged.

"Yeah, that much is painfully obvious." I agreed with a sigh.

"Yet again, your strategy for the Scouts boils down to another gamble. Just like everything else you conjure up." Levi grumbled.

"Erwin! I brought the goodies!" Hange suddenly shouted, running. "All the gunpowder, ropes, and netting I could find! We'll have to assemble it ourselves though."