Prologue

"Hey look, it's Valeri!" Eren pointed out to his two friends, Armin and Mikasa across the river.

Valeri, dressed in a grey dress and poor thin leather sewed together with sinew for shoes, sat by the side of the river, reading a musty looking book, aged by mildew and moisture. She drew her attention away from her book, and smiled, waving to them. 

She tucked the book into a brown bag slung over her shoulder, and ran across the bridge, leaning down over them. 

"How lovely it is to see you three again! I hope you are well, especially you Eren, hope you haven't gotten into any fights lately." She commented. 

"Yeah, we're fine Valeri, but you don't look so good! How about you come to dinner tonight again? Mom always has plenty of food to share, you're always welcome!" said Eren with a cheery smile.

Valeri's cheekbones stuck out, and her arms and legs were thin. She laughed cheerily and waved it off, smiling. "Oh no, it's quite alright! I feel so bad taking what I can't give back, I'll be just fine on my own." 

Mikasa raised her eyebrow. "Are you sure?" She asked worriedly. Besides Eren and Armin, Valeri was the only other person she really truly cared for. 

"Yes, I'm fine, I'm going back home. You three take care now!" The three of them groaned disappointedly. "Aw c'mon, can't you stay a little longer with us?" They begged. 

Valeri raised her head, considering it. "Well, I haven't got anything to do anyway. Come, let's sit by the riverbank and we can talk." The three of them clapped their hands and cheered. Valeri loved seeing them so happy, they were like her little siblings she never had.

For a few minutes they sat and talked in the horizon, then the topic came to Titans. "Ugh I hate those Titans! Because of them we're locked behind these walls like cattle!" Eren started ranting again. 

"Say Valeri, didn't you say your parents were part of the Survey Corps?" asked Armin with curiosity. "Well, yes they were, apparently. Well- from what I've heard anyway." She answered, shrugging.

The three of them turned their attention to her. "What happened to them? You never told us much about them. They must've been really cool!" Eren smiled in awe. 

Valeri smiled sadly. "I suppose the three of you are old enough, I have known you all for nearly 2 years now." She laid back on the grass, staring at the sky. 

"As long as I could remember, my parents were never home, off on expeditions and doing their duty as soldiers. My grandmother, a feeble yet sweet woman, raised me. From what I've heard, my parents were known as the "Daring Duo," who were unstoppable when they worked together against the Titans. I don't even remember what they looked like, but my un- grandma told me I looked exactly like my mom, except for my hair color. When I was 9 my parents died in an expedition, their bodies weren't recovered. My grandma died a year later of disease, and I've been homeless and orphaned ever since."

The three of them were quiet. "Wow Valeri, you've had a tough life." Eren consulted pitifully. She laughed again. "No, it's really nothing compared to what other people are going through! I don't want to end up like my parents, in the stomachs of Titans. Being locked away due to a bunch of mindless creatures does seem quite irritating however." She stated, dozing off. 

She then stood up. "I have to go now, you three take care!" She hugged each of them, before walking off and waving at them, while they waved back. They really were the light in her dark world. 

Valeri went back to a little tent that was her home in an alleyway, and went inside. She may live in poverty with almost nothing, but she kept things as clean and neat as she could.