❸❸

★★★

★★★

"JJ?" I asked, trying to talk to him when he got back in the car.

"Mind games," He said, a tear falling down his face. I wasn't sure entirely what he meant, but I wasn't gonna push him any further.

He was obviously shaken up over whatever happened inside. I wasn't there, I wasn't in the room where it happened, so unless he told me I would never know.

He'd tell me at some point, but it wasn't in anyone's best interest to force this out of him now.

"You can tell me when you're comfortable," I offered, trying to be sensitive when in reality I was never the best at comforting people.

"Okay. Not now, though. I'll show you how to get to where the Phantom is," He said plainly and I nodded.

I started the car and we drove away in silence until he uttered a few directions.

"Left here," He said and I listened.

"Take a right in about a mile."

"Turn here... no, no, no turn right."

After a bit, we got there, and I parked the car. "So the Phantom's in there?" I asked, and he nodded.

"And you have the keys, right?"

"Yes, I have the keys."

"Just making sure," I shrugged and he chuckled a little. That was a good sign.

We headed into the storage place for Luke Maybank's boat, and when we got in there, it was a marvel.

It was an insanely nice boat, not too big but also not too small. It looked like it would do the job of getting John B. and Sarah the hell out of here perfectly.

"Damn," I said in awe, and JJ nodded from next to me. "Dear old dad's pride and joy," He said, and I examined it.

"It's incredible," I said. To anyone else, it would be a ratty old boat that could really be something with some elbow grease and hard work, but to us it was our saving grace.

"A 1983 Formula 402 SR1," JJ proudly announced, and I chuckled, enjoying listening to in infatuation with the boat. We both helped each other hitch it to the back of Kie's car as JJ raved about it. 

"First boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours, Stevie. Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen," He said.

"It's kind of a junker," I teased, and he looked at me with mock offense on his face.

"Really? She's right there. She can hear you. Let's just put it this way, you would not be smoking weed today if she never existed," JJ said.