★★★

★★★

I woke up early that next morning. It was Saturday and JJ was still passed out next to me, so I took my opportunity to sneak away quickly. I changed into all black and tied my shoes, beelining for the door and making sure I didn't make him up.

I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, writing down some bullshit lie to keep him from worrying. With that done, I snuck out the door and hopped on the motorbike. I walked it down the road a bit until it was far enough that JJ wouldn't hear it start.

I hopped on, speeding up the road and over the bridge to where the funeral was being held. The Kildare County Cemetery.

I hated places like this. We all die, sure, but knowing we'll all end up under the ground in some shitty, moss-covered gravestone bugged me.

When I saw a crowd walking in, all in black, I knew I was in the right place. I parked the bike and walked the rest of the way to catch everyone.

I stood a safe distance away from everyone, tying up my hair and putting on the black baseball cap I brought so that nobody recognized me. That was all I needed. The funeral began and I kept to myself. I listened to everything that was being said, and I held my tongue.

It was hard to hear all this coming from people who thought John B did this in cold blood.

Sheriff Peterkin was probably the only person in that whole damn station that was trying to help John B, but now she was gone. She was gone, and if she were here, I knew she'd defend him.

I didn't move an inch when they went to place flowers on her grave, I just couldn't risk it, but I wanted to. I stood in my spot as people flooded out of the cemetery one after the other, but stayed where I was.

I kept my head down, the hat's bill covering my face as I avoided eye contact with anyone.

It went quiet and I peered up to see who was left over, what stragglers had stayed behind, and my breath stilled.

Ward, Rafe, Wheezie, and Rose stood at the foot of the burial site, looking over her.

I couldn't believe it. The nerve they had to show up here. Especially Rafe. I felt horrible for Wheezie, she didn't deserve any of this shit.

Without thinking about it any more, I began walking. My legs took over and had a mind of their own. I walked until I was right behind them and I shoved Rafe's shoulder with my hand. I hadn't thought any of this through, my body was just coursing with intense emotion I couldn't deal with.

"You... you have some fucking nerve," I seethed. I had no control over what I was saying, or my actions, I merely said whatever came to mind first.

The whole family turned around now, and Ward looked at me with a look in his eyes I didn't like.

"Go wait in the car, Wheezie," Rose said, and I looked at her next.