★★★

★★★

I made a sloppy plan in my head while I frantically threw on an old drug rug and some shorts. I paced back and forth, not wanting anyone here to worry about where I was going, they wouldn't let me go back. I had told them everything about my aunt and we all knew pretty much everything about each other now, so I wasn't about to tell them I was walking into the lion's den.

I put my hood up and walked out of my room casually, looking around for anyone. I played it cool, only seeing John B. and Pope around the corner. I couldn't take Skipper, it would be too loud, and I couldn't take John B.'s car either; he had the keys. I noticed something outside the window though, JJ's dirt bike.

JJ was mowing someone's lawn on Figure 8 after Kie drove him there on her way home. She took her parents car so it was no problem, and they both were gone. JJ always left his keys attached to the hammock so I snuck out of the house and went to grab them.

Once they were in my hand, I walked over to the bike, putting up the kickstand and quietly walking it out of the driveway and up the road a little bit. When I deemed myself far enough, I got on the bike and started it up, riding down to the cut.

All I would do was walk in, not say a word to Helen, grab my picture and leave. Hell, I knew it wouldn't be that simple, but I feigned confidence for myself. I knew I'd have to sneak in and hope she was passed out somewhere from drinking too much like usual. I got to the central part of the Cut just ten minutes later and leaned the bike against a storefront.

I walked to the end of one stray dock, nearer to the houseboat, and wished myself luck. I stepped on the platform and opened the door ever so carefully. There was Helen, unconscious on the couch, just as I had predicted. I knew she could wake up, so I snuck past her and went into my old room.

I shut the door behind me and crouched down to lift one of the boards. I placed the board next to me and reached down, retrieving the tiny photo just before hearing pounding footsteps from out in the living area. I froze, not knowing if Helen had detected me or if she was just getting up for something else. I stuck the picture safely in the locket as soon as I could.

I decided not to wait around and find out, so I put the floorboard back in place as silently as I possibly could and made sure that no sound came out of it. I grabbed some more of my stuff, putting it into a drawstring bag and slinging it over my back. It was all I needed, thank god, so I wouldn't have to come back anymore after this.

I opened the door carefully so I didn't alert her that I was in the boat, and when I peered around the corner, I noticed her back was to me around the corner in the kitchen. I tiptoed to the door as fast as I could, but I cursed myself when I stepped on a creaky board.