❷❸

★★★

★★★

We went to the Wreck to get some food and debrief what had just happened to us. I still couldn't get my mind off of how harsh I was to JJ, but another part of me knew I was right to tell him off for his reckless endangerment of all of us. I just couldn't help but feel terrible.

"Look, he'll come around, alright? It's... he's doing a JJ thing," John B. assured us all, but I wasn't so sure that was all it was. "You think he'll go home?" I asked, eyes trained on the table. That was what I most feared, JJ having nowhere else to go but back to his father.

I would hate to go back to my aunt if I had no other option, and I knew exactly how it would end for him. "There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope said as he leaned up against the screen window.

I knew that was probably exaggerated. I felt like, for some reason, he would go home. Either home or the police department to pay off his restitution. He would want his dad to pay it though as not to raise suspicions.

We sat around, not hungry, and said nothing to each other for a while. John B. and Sarah talked for a little bit until Pope decided enough was enough for the lovebirds. "Okay. It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once. Put it- in a safe or a vault or something. I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. I can figure it off tonight, get it done, and we can be out there tomorrow morning," Pope said. 

"Alright, let's do it," John B. said, and I nodded as well. "Solid," I agreed. 

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah asked suddenly, and we all looked at her. "Shit," John B. cursed, and I rolled my eyes along with Kie. 

"What thing?" Pope asked, and John B. sighed. "I have to go fishing... with Ward," He said, obviously embarrassed that that was his reason for not being able to go get the gold. Kie verbalized that perfectly for me, "You can't get 400 mil 'cause you're gonna go kill fish?" She asked, not impressed. 

"Look, I have to," He said. 

"Blow it off," I answered, but he shook his head. "No, I can't. I can't," He said. He explained why he couldn't blow it off due to the fact that Ward had saved him. I understood that, no matter what other people thought. I felt like I'd feel the same obligation if I were in his shoes. 

When we all realized he wasn't going to back down, we stopped talking again. "Fine, fine, go fishing. At least JJ will have washed up by then," Pope announced, and I nodded at this. I got up from the table and walked away, not thinking about it, and heard confused talking behind me.