❶❾

★★★

★★★

"Guys, stop fighting. It can't be that hard to get along with each other, right?" I asked, well... more begged the two girls after a half-hour of just sitting in tense silence. They both stared at me with a look that could shoot daggers. I sighed, knowing it was no use, and walked away. I took my shorts off, leaving me in my bathing suit, and folded them, placing the pair neatly on the boat deck.

I stood up on top of the edge of the boat's wall and huffed. "Yeah, this is the only option," I said to myself, stepping off and dropping into the water below. "HELP!" I shrieked, ingesting water and spitting it back out as I masterfully pretended to drown. 

"HELP ME. KIE, SARAH, ANYBODY!" I shouted at the top of my lungs, flailing around in the water for effect. The two sparring girls ran over to the edge of the boat, eyes wild, both clearly panicking. Aw, it was nice that this concerned them. Regardless, I had a role to play. 

I gulped in more water to make it seem like I couldn't breathe, and let me just say, I did a damn good job. "Oh god, here I am drowning, and I really need some help!" I called out, hoping they would just shut up about their petty problems for a second and do what I wanted them to. 

If I was actually dying, holy shit, they would never be the first ones I'd call. 

"Quick, grab that live preserver," Kie snapped at Sarah, pointing to the circular ring on the back of the boat. "Wanna say please?" Sarah said, hands on her hips, and I rolled my eyes, still fake thrashing in the water. 

"Drowning. Still drowning. Can't breathe," I said half-heartedly. It was going to be super difficult to get these two to like each other, or at least tolerate each other, but I was doing my best. Sarah snapped out of her silly resistance and grabbed the preserver, throwing it over to me. 

"Thanks," Kie said, still looking at me with panic in her eyes, and Sarah nodded from next to her, their charade partially melting away for a second. Progress. This was good. Grabbing onto the life preserver, I pretended that thing was my best fucking friend. 

"Oh thank god!" I exclaimed as they helped pull me over. "Thank you guys, you saved my life... together," I said, softening my eyes and looking up at them after putting emphasis on that last word. "Wait, you don't need, like, CPR?" Kie asked, and I shook my head. 

"No, I guess I got lucky," I said, fake coughing twice afterward, ", see? The old pipes are still functioning, would you look at that." 

They had both pretty much fully caught on to what I had done, and when they did, their arms folded in unison. "Oh, come on, what else was I supposed to do?" I retorted, pouting now that they had figured out my front.